Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tips on dealing with people in your stand? >

Tips on dealing with people in your stand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips on dealing with people in your stand?

Old 11-18-2003, 10:05 AM
jec

Default Tips on dealing with people in your stand?

I got in my stand on my own property Sat. morning and I noticed someone had turned my chair in the opposite direction, then When I' m climbing out I noticed and empty buckshot shell under my seat. Talk about mad, i try to keep a fresh stand and to know someone is hunting it while I' m at work really makes me mad. If I had plenty of land, I would let someone else hunt it too, but its only 15 acres, not like I have thousands of acres or anything. My wife spotted someone driving by and stopping and when she pulled in behind them, they drove off fast. I think someone is letting someone off and if they see me pull in, they get out and leave, and to tell the truth , I honestly don' t know if I want to know who it is or catch them in my stand with my temper. Any tips on running them off without actually catching them or finding out who they are?
Old 11-18-2003, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Tips on dealing with people in your stand?

Make a trap, hang a bag of skunk musk over the seat and rig it so when they sit down it dumps right down the back of there neck Just make sure you don' t set it off[][X(][X(]
Old 11-18-2003, 10:15 AM

Cut 3/4 way through one leg of the chair!

I' d put a no hunting sign on the seat and stake the place out, have your wife drop you off. Take a sick day and get him. Press all charges that apply. Sends a good message.

Greg

Old 11-18-2003, 10:16 AM

I like the skunk thing!!!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:23 AM
jec

Yeah, but if they get hurt trespassing on my land, I would probably be the one that got in trouble or sued, or they would probably booby trap the place for when I hunt. Trust me, I' ve thought about putting a few boards with nails and burying them in the leaves so they get a nail through the foot right before they get on my stand!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:35 AM

I would try to catch the guy either in your stand or on your property. Get the liscense plat and press charges or he will keep on going there. I have 2 stands on my property and if I ever found someone in them, I would blow a gasket.

I too am guilty of sitting in someone else' s tree stand but the stand is on Association property and not on personal property. Since it was built and not a portable stand without Association permission, I sit in it every chance I get. I also do not live there but can hunt there if I desire since my mother in-law lives there. This guy would bring in 6 or 7 friends to hunt with now it is down to one friend. I have never shot a deer there but have seen them and many hunters. When I see him at the local hardware store, I always let him know I was in his stand. I guess I' m a little sadistic in nature since I know he hates it when someone is in his stand.

Tomster
Old 11-18-2003, 10:41 AM
jec

What i think is happening is someone is driving by and letting another person out so there is no vehicle. The only way into the property is from the front so they see my truck pull in and get out well before I can get to the stand. They are probably not wearing orange either. The stands have sides on them and a door, so I at least took the chairs out of them so that the only way to hunt them would be to sit on your knees. The next gun season here starts Thanksgiving so I' ll have to put my chairs back in the night before I hunt.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:20 AM

I like the stake out idea, but it is a wasted day, if the dude doesn' t show. You could set up a motion camera, that is used for deer to see if you could get a pic of him or the vehicle.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about putting up this sign:

" ABSOLUTELY NO TRESSPASSING. SURVIVORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!"
Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 AM

I would put on one of those locks on the door to make it harder for them to get in, if possible. I would only lock it during hunting seasons, plus keep the lock oiled to prevent rusting.

My stands have camo burlap and carpetng on the floor to muffle the sounds. Also above the railing I use the camo you can see through, with holes in it for shooting. I used a tarp for the roof but it tends to fill up with water when it rains. I do plan on adding a better roof some day.

Hope you get them.

Tomster

Quick Reply: Tips on dealing with people in your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.