Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather >

Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

Old 11-17-2003, 10:51 PM

Default Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

I was wondering how the deer movement has been with all the warm weather. I was thinking about going down to my lease in central texas this week but I didn' t know if it would be better to hold off till it cools off a little bit.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:24 AM

Default RE: Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

We' ll I thought the samething last weekend. I stayed home and a buddy that I' m on the lease with went and shot a nice 10 pointer at 4:30 Saturday afternoon. You just never know what might happen. However deer movement has been slow. It' s just too hot! I' m going out this weekend to see what things are looking like. We really need some cold weather though. Has anyone been seeing signs of the rut anywhere in Texas. I' ve seen a few rubs a couple of scrapes. Haven' t really seen the bucks with does yet. Alot is happening at night I' m sure. Tough hunting so far this year.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:30 AM

I have a lease in McCulloch County, Texas. . opening weekend was just too hot almost no movement. Lots of moon too did not help much either. Since then a cold front or two has blown through a big help. I got a nice Buck the morning after the first cold front blew in, 11/6 I think. Was out this weekend with my boy and it is clear that we are now in RUT, The Bucks had nothing else on their minds. We stayed until 9:30 on saturday morning and saw plenty of action until then, ate and came back out to sit again at noon saw movement all day long. The boy finaly took his first Deer/Buck Sunday morning, A nice little 8 point. We took him becuase his G-2 was nothing but a nub on one side, just big enough to count. If he didn' t break it in velvet then we want him out of the mix.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-18-2003, 08:40 AM

IFFRED is right. . .ya gotta go when you can. . . .ya never know what could happen. Put in the hours, season is short.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:11 PM

Yeah your right, a bad day hunting is better than a good day of pretty much anything else. I hunted opening weekend at my lease and they were moving really early but that was about it. What has made me want to get down there so bad is an 18 point has been spotted on our place a number of times and just thinking of that mount on my wall about has me packing up and hittin the road. Hey Georgetown, do you know if the rut is just coming around just in south texas or if its other places too? I' m hunting central texas in Mills County and I kinda had figured the rut would come in a few weeks where I' m at but I could be wrong.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:27 PM

Imister85, I didn' t notice the rut until late november early december last year. Haven' t been this year but opening weekend so can' t say what' s going on.

I hunt Real County far west of Central Texas.

Jason
Old 11-18-2003, 12:31 PM

Not that I am any real expert but. . in McCulloch, right damn in the middle of the state. It looks like it just gettin going. From what I would guess Texas is only a few weeks later than guys way up north. I looked at a map, Mill county is only a few counties north east from McColluch. . .I have done some hunting in the past few years in Lampassas county which is directly south of Mills and your county is a 4 deer county so you may have to look a little harder but still you do great.

Shoot straight.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:44 PM

Oh. . .part II. . .just to get you goin. . . .you say your comin soon. . . .this weekend, the moon will be almost gone, cold front due in by then and the Rut is on. . . .I' d sit in that stand all damn day and wait for that Buck if I was you.

I' d be happy to drive out there tonight and take that big boy out if he really bugs ya.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the offer but I think I' ll take care of this one. But hey your more then welcome to come down and help me clean the brute! After what you have said I can' t wait to go down there this weekend. I' m gonna make it down Sunday night, and sit in the stand all day long for a few days and see if I can spot him. I thought you were in S.Texas but I was thinking of McMullen instead of McColluch. So if your seeing rut activity around there it shouldn' t be to far before the rut hits in Mills if it already hasn' t hit. Quick question Georgetown, have you had any luck with scents or anything of that sort where your hunting? I' ve never really messed with anything like that (scents, scrapes) but I' ve never been just trying to hunt a certain buck in the area.

Quick Reply: Texas Deer Hunters-Warm Weather

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.