Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tracking

Old 11-17-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Tracking

I am color blind in the red and orange color range and have trouble seeing a blood trail, I have heard of a flashlight that illuminates blood, anyone know about this light? also found a product that turns blood bright blue but it wasn' t available to the U.S. from this website!
Old 11-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tracking

Why not try peroxide, it foams up when in contact with blood and no matter what color, cannot be mistaken. Also its dirt cheap.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to rain on your parade, jerseyhunter, but if he can' t see the blood, how is he going to pour peroxide on it? Also, I wouldn' t recommend pouring oxidizers (or any chemicals) onto the ground, where they can seep into runoff. Let' s try to keep nature natural.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well if he' s looking for a product that would turn the blood blue than I' m assuming he can differentiate between something that is wet and this would tell him the difference between water droplits and blood. Iwould suggest he spray it out of a large spray bottle. Also you can brush your teeth with it so its probably not too dangerous of a bio-hazzard.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:12 PM

Try a Coleman lantern we have used on to track blood trails and it makes blood glow. Blood stands out brighter than water. I hope this will help.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Impractical, IMHO. But to each his/her own.

Be aware that even though you can brush your teeth with it, you can' t swallow it. The household variety is pretty weak, but toxic nonetheless in quantity. My philosophy is to leave the woods as close to intact as possible.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:58 PM

Acually, Jerseyhunter is right. Peroxide in a spraybottle is pretty common practice for finding a blood trail. You just spray it on anything that you think could be blood and it will bubble up. It breaks down to water and oxygen, so you don' t have to worry about doing any environmental damage. In fact, it' s used as an environmental cleaner. If anybody' s still sceptical, there' s more here:

http://www.h2o2.com/intro/overview.html

Nathan
Old 11-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps I stand corrected. What is the break-down time in the natural enviroment of North America? It' s been a while since chemistry class, but I was under the impression that it would take some time if not acted upon before it seeps underground.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:31 PM

Aught Six

Although peroxide is an oxidizer, its shelf life is only 3 weeks after opened to atmosphere. When it reacts it turns to H2o (good old water). So there would be no bad effects on the enviroment. Just thought I' d add that in.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:09 PM

My brother is also colorblind to red and orange though he can see the blaze orange OK. Last year he hit a buck and then he couldn' t track it. Luckily I was there to help. I was pointing out the blood in the snow and he kept telling me that it wasn' t blood, that it was mud and dirt. If he couldn' t see the blood in the snow how in the world would he see it on dirt or leaves? I would say if you can' t get the product to turn the blood blue or use Peroxide then I would suggest that you get someone to help track. That' s a tough problem to have....

Quick Reply: Tracking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.