Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 was this the right thing to do >

was this the right thing to do

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

was this the right thing to do

Old 11-17-2003, 12:08 PM

Default was this the right thing to do

my g/f' s brother went out on state land last night and just before dark, a doe and an 8pt came running threw wide open, and he' s hunting with a slug gun he said it was about 30-40 yds out or more,he shot but he must of just grazed it or wounded it b/c they couldnt find the animal, i said you shouldnt have shot since it was wasnt a clean shot, which could put the animal down within 20-30 yards, i just wanted to know whether you would take a shot at something that was really movin right along, which may not provide quick clean results. i really think it was irresponsible
Old 11-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: was this the right thing to do

Irresponsible, hmmm, that is a tough one for me. If you can' t make the shot, it is, if you can, it isn' t. But everyone who has shot a running deer has to have a first time. I do alot of drives when I hunt back in Wisconsin, and have shot a fair amount of deer on the run. I know the shots I can make, and the ones that I hold off on.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Before I throw in my opinion, I have to say that I' ve never been deer hunting. My family doesn' t hunt too much, so I' m learning the ropes on my own (and with help from the nice folks here in the forum).

However, my belief is to wait until you have a perfect shot. We all have different skill levels, so that perfect shot might vary from hunter to hunter. But I dare say that for most, a running deer is not an good target. The least we can do for these noble creatures and for the sport is to make a clean kill.

I think often about how I' ll hold up next season when/if that first buck appears and I start to get the fever. But I believe that if I study and practice hard through the year, I' ll stay true to form and wait until the moment is just right. I love to just sit and soak up the sights, sounds, and smells of the outdoors. If I need to wait another year to get that buck, that' s OK with me. It' s the entire outdoor experience that makes it worthwhile. The trophy is just the icing on the cake.

I' m anxious to hear what you experienced hunters think about that topic!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:39 PM

IMO if there was even the least bit of doubt about it being a good shot opportunity, It SHOULD NOT have been taken.... we owe it to ourselves to our prey(the deer) and to every hunter out there to insure a clean shot/kill.
I know if i were the prey and some fast fingered buck took a pot shot at me as i was running just injuring me, possibly leading to a long painful infected miserable death, I' d be pissed but if the same buck knew he could make that shot no question,and he thumped me cold and killed me clean I' d be a happy camper albeit a dead one but happy!
You did the right thing its up to us to educate the hunters who make the rest of us and the sport look bad and inhumane!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-17-2003, 01:20 PM

I think it would depend on the situation and also the ability of the hunter. If he was sure that the buck was an 8 pt, there must have been enough light in the woods and time to determine this. Therefore I would not consider him a poacher, it was most likely still during legal shooting times. (It gets alot darker in the woods than an open field with a scope). Also the main factor whether to shoot or not is his ability to shoot a moving target. I know if I was in the (legal) situation, I would have definately shot at a running deer. I feel confident in the amount of practice I have put in over the past that I can put a lethal shot on a running animal. It all depends on the hunter.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-17-2003, 04:57 PM

he' s like 16, i dont think he' s got much practice shooting moving targets, im still p.o. about it, and i keep telling him that bucks dead somewhere' s becuase you were irresponsible and couldnt put a good kill shot on it, a 1oz slub at 40yds or so with a lung/heart shot shoulda put the deer down pretty quick i think, they looked last night, this morning and tonight and no deer, he' s lucky he' s not my offspring b/c he' d be done hunting for the year or longer

p.s. he tells me there was some deer on top of a hill when they were leaving the woods tonight and he lifted his gun up to see if it they had horns, irresponble again, another person coulda have been just beyond the deer, argg friggin kid
i mean im only 18 and have hunted less then him but i seem to have better ethics, wait for the right shot, practice practice practice, what' s beyond the target, etc. like he just screwed around and slept in H.E. class
Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 PM

Pse, i dont want this to sound off in any way, but like stated above in other respones its up to the hunter on weather or not to shoot, maybe he honestly thought he could have made the shot, in this case he messed up and didnt, but then again it might have been like you said and he just was being carelss,trigger happy over the buck, Im not sure, but if was me i wouldnt have shot if he was cooking right along. just b/c im not overly graet at really quick moving targets.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:45 PM

i think that he needs to know what his shooting ablities are, i try not to take running shots but at the antelope i shot this year i had to.it all happens so fast sometimes and you dont tend to think about all of that. and about him raising his gun to look at the deer on the ridge, was he actually going to shoot? did he have some binocs w/ him? if he didnt and he wasnt planning on shooting than i dont exactly see what the problem is?thats just me but ya.i can see both sides of the story here because ive been in both boats.

Quick Reply: was this the right thing to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.