Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question

Old 11-15-2003, 12:13 AM

Default question

Has anyone here had luck putting out salt (a fairly large quantity) a few days before season opens?

BTW it starts today (15th) and I can' t sleep a wink I' m so excited!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2003, 12:21 AM

Default RE: question

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO Go to co-op and get a 50 pound bag of salt, i think its 50, may be a little less. Put the whole bag out, this will not take effect very good until next year. Then every year after that you put another bag out each year. There is a spot were I tried this that I promise you its big enough to put a good sized truck in from deer pawing at the ground wanting more salt. Also if you want bigger deer put out protein pellets in with the salt. I work on the river boat and meet all kinds of backwoods guys from the West Va. that live in the sticks, they tell me these things that work. They prolly kill more deer than anyone on this board. Cause they have to have it for food. They also say, but I don' t intend trying this but don' t use anything like Tinks 69 or anything liek that, they use jsut the dirt flavored waffers. they dont' use any kind of attractant or anything.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:53 AM

hey i got a question bout salt to what bout flavored salt blocks like wild persimmon,app,swet corn,or apple are these any good
Old 11-15-2003, 08:14 AM

Salt never seems to be very good the first yr. But as 6182 said after this yr, you will definatly see a difference in both number and health of the deer you see. I have never been a fan of the flavored stuff. And if you want to put a twist on it, try a mineral block. Check your hunting regs closely cause in some states like this one, its illegal to hunt over salt or feed stations.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:24 AM

Great idea!!! Feed the deer salt so that it is naturally seasoned before it comes of the grill.