Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Waited or pass the shot off for ethical purposes
Waited
50.00%
Did the right thing
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Is this still my deer

Old 12-21-2022, 01:26 PM
Spike

Default Is this still my deer

Vote please
i shot a buck. 10pt. Ended up shooting it in its ads through the back leg out the gut. Tracked it for 100yds heard something move Backed out Went back nxt morning in daylight. Me & buddy tracked it. Found it in a bush still alive looking at us 16yds. I made a mistake by not bringing the crossbow in for the track. I ran back to the truck 200yds each way. My buddy just stood there & waited. When I got back. Put him in the scope I couldn’t see him. 16yd shot outta breath. 2hrs sleep the night before. Emotional roller coaster. Lined him up 4 times but looking down the scope I couldnt focus on him. My buddies like want me shoot it. Handed him the crossbow shoot it. Did I do the wrong thing. Or should I of waited till I settled down & took the kill shot myself
Old 12-21-2022, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erratic
Vote please
i shot a buck. 10pt. Ended up shooting it in its ads through the back leg out the gut. Tracked it for 100yds heard something move Backed out Went back nxt morning in daylight. Me & buddy tracked it. Found it in a bush still alive looking at us 16yds. I made a mistake by not bringing the crossbow in for the track. I ran back to the truck 200yds each way. My buddy just stood there & waited. When I got back. Put him in the scope I couldn’t see him. 16yd shot outta breath. 2hrs sleep the night before. Emotional roller coaster. Lined him up 4 times but looking down the scope I couldn't focus on him. My buddies like want me shoot it. Handed him the crossbow shoot it. Did I do the wrong thing. Or should I of waited till I settled down & took the kill shot myself
That would depend on the state you killed it in, in my state it would belong to the person who killed the deer. Why in the world would you track a deer while possessing no legal weapon to finish it off it it was still alive. why did you shoot ad the hind end of a deer when you should have known it is a terrible shot to take especially with aa crossbow or bow? Was this the first deer you ever shot at? You need to spend some time looking at aa deer's anatomy and learn where the fatal spots are to quickly and humanely kill a deer!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-21-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
That would depend on the state you killed it in, in my state it would belong to the person who killed the deer. Why in the world would you track a deer while possessing no legal weapon to finish it off it it was still alive. why did you shoot ad the hind end of a deer when you should have known it is a terrible shot to take especially with aa crossbow or bow? Was this the first deer you ever shot at? You need to spend some time looking at aa deer's anatomy and learn where the fatal spots are to quickly and humanely kill a deer!
it got spooked as I took the ****. I was aiming for double lung Thanks for the extra input. I didn’t know that’s where it was hit until I recovered it. Yes I learned 1 lesson track with your weapon. Did I do the right thing or should I of waited till I settled down & could make the shot.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erratic
it got spooked as I took the ****. I was aiming for double lung Thanks for the extra input. I didn’t know that’s where it was hit until I recovered it. Yes I learned 1 lesson track with your weapon. Did I do the right thing or should I of waited till I settled down & could make the shot.
I can't tell you that because I don't know the laws in your state, in my state if someone else kills a deer and gives it to you and he doesn't tag it, you both would in violation, you for possessing an untagged or improperly tagged deer and him for failure to tag the deer he killed. Check the laws in your state.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I can't tell you that because I don't know the laws in your state, in my state if someone else kills a deer and gives it to you and he doesn't tag it, you both would in violation, you for possessing an untagged or improperly tagged deer and him for failure to tag the deer he killed. Check the laws in your state.
we have the same law here for tagging a deer you didn’t legally kill. Yes the other guy would get fined for allowing another person to tag a deer he had killed..

But my question is why not wait if the deer is laying or standing there and not wanting to run away at 16 yards?
Old 12-27-2022, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know but all the years I have hunted I hunt with friends we have worked it out. I think in your situation as a gentleman, even if I finished the deer off for you it is still your deer you shot. I had a couple of similar situations in the past and we worked it out as friends.

On your buddies side, he could argue if he nets your fish in the boat. Since he netted it while you brought it in with the rod it is his (the netters) fish? I don't think so.

Legally I cant argue as we legally party hunt our deer tags up here.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

By Ohio law, legally that would be your buddies deer to tag.

If it was me you were hunting with I would congratulate you, shake your hand and say good job, and help you gut and drag your deer.

Likely in that situation I would have had a good read on the deer by that point and I would have calmed you down enough to allow you to make the shot.

-Jake
Old 01-15-2023, 12:23 PM
Spike

Seems like a legal vs ethics discussion. Legally would be his based on state regulations. Ethically, your friend did you a favor and any good friend would say it was your deer