Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to hunt does?

Old 11-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to hunt does?

Most of the stuff you read about talks about how to get a buck. But here in GA we have a long doe season as well. I hunt a bedding area in a valley that is thick pines. I have seen does in there plenty of times, and outside of the thick stuff as well, but of course the only times I could get a shot was during buck-only days.

Besides a deer drive, what tactics could I use to get me some does? I got a buck recently with a doe grunt call. I once got a doe while still hunting, but this technique usually scares them away more than anything. I would maybe still hunt in the rain though. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:23 PM

Default RE: How to hunt does?

Hunt the food, bedding areas, and in-between. Sounds like you already know what you are doing. Just sit and wait, and shoot a big one.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:32 PM

I would suggest finding very well used paths. Oce locating such a path, I would set up a tree stands a little off the path (but still close enough to give you a good shot) and sit and wait. Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 11-12-2003, 12:42 AM

Could try a fawn bleat for a call to help bring in a curious doe. Or a 1-2 second sustained bleat for a " where are you" call.

Yeah find the well used paths between feeding areas, bedding areas, and a water source.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Food scented lures , fawn bleats , doe grunts . Be prepared for a challenge , does usually move in groups . So many eyes !
Old 11-12-2003, 07:26 AM

i hunt in Ga. sit down and hunt the edge of the pines where they come into the hard woods, use a climber and get atleast 20 ft. in the air, or they will smell you
Old 11-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

My usual strategy is just to find the feeding area and then pick a heavily used trail in the transition are leading to the feeding grounds. More often than not, these are my most productive stands.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Great ideas! I have a question on the fawn bleat (distress) call. Can you use them throughout the season, or do they only work in the pre-rut? I have tried them in the past with no results, but may have been doing it wrong. I heard a fawn in distress on tv, so am ready to try it again.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry..I just had to laugh at this one. Here in Arkansas, you can harvest does by putting on a blindfold, grabbing your gun by the barrel and swinging it like a baseball bat.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

LOL.. I hear you! I forgot to mention that I hunt public land. By the time doe season comes, there have been so many hunters through there that most of the deer are sitting tight in the daytime. When I walk back to camp after dark they are always out, and just snort at me.. which is why Im trying to figure out how to get even!

Quick Reply: How to hunt does?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.