Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

heartbreaking hunt

Old 11-11-2003, 07:14 AM

Default heartbreaking hunt

This past Saturday I was invited to hunt some private property in the upstate with my brother. The morning hunt was on the northeast corner of a hay field. I set up in a maple tree that was laying on the ground in a recent cutover about 40 yards from the hay field. This cutover was done in rows about 20 yards wide running west to east, leaving strips of pine and underbrush alternating with strips that were cutover. My brother went about 200 yards east of me to hunt a hardwood bottom.
Anyhow, I' m sitting on my dove bucket, backed up into the branches of the Maple tree with a strong NNW wind blowing. Lots of sign on the ground, a few rubs, etc.. It looked like a pretty good spot and it was doe days so I figured I' d at least get some meat. This area is also known for better than average bucks so my expectations were high. It had been hot in the days past and a cold front was moving in and the locals had told me the bucks were chasing does pretty hard.
Around about 10:00 am I look to my right and see my brother slipping towards me at about 80 yards, concerned that he may not see me(orange hat on) I pulled my orange vest out of my pocket and shook it to get his attention. I shook it again, no response from him so I figured I better step out of my ground blind and make sure that he saw me, I started to walk towards him slowly and when I was about 15 yards from my setup he saw me standing in the open lane, at the same time he saw me I heard a branch snap back behind me and turned just in time to see a huge buck trailing with his nose to the ground coming across the front of the Maple tree about 30 yards away from where I was standing. The buck saw me at the same moment and turned on the afterburners headind off to the NE and a thicket. I was able to see the buck running thru the lanes for about 60 yards before he vanished, large dark horns, wide and tall, at least 130" and 190-200 lbs. I never even considered a shot under the circumstances and watched my dream buck disappear back into the woods from which he came.
This all took place in under 45 seconds, just imagine, 45 more seconds I would have had the largest buck of my lifetime walk straight in front of mt gun at 15 yards!
Old 11-11-2003, 07:49 AM

Default RE: heartbreaking hunt

Thats truly to bad,sorry to hear ,better luck on future hunts.