Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Killed him from underneath me!!! >

Killed him from underneath me!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Killed him from underneath me!!!

Old 11-23-2021, 01:07 PM
Spike

Default Killed him from underneath me!!!

OK so i wanted a good spot to take my wife and son whom is on the spectrum, my other son is to young but will hunt when he is older (1year old) so my mom rents off a older friend of the family and it's a nice place with ot of land around. Long story short there is 6 properties around it and I have permission from 4 of the 6 and am now friends with the owner of the bigger 2 chunks. I set up a blind and stand on the other side, I been feeding for over half a year and have cams up. There are 4 big bucks I want a 6 with a massive rack a seven I named sleven, a 8 and a 10+. There are more than this but these was my target deer. I have been hunting with a crossbow and have let alot pass either waiting for the bigger or just liked to watch well gun season came in a I went yesterday I happen to call in the 6 with the wide spread come out and was tickled to death, I couldn't shoot because it was on 1 of the 2 I couldn't shoot from. I grabbed the binoculars to look again and the old man drove up to the field i watched the deer to make sure he wasn't running and boom he shot the buck 😳 !!!! Wtf he said he don't hunt anymore it don't excite him and he could care less. He told me it's nothing to him and he rarely eats deer anyway. He has run on about follow the laws and shoots a buck I called in going to my bait pile I have been putting out for months!!! Is it me or is that not the biggest bunch of horse sh$# you ever herd. ... flew out of my blind threw everything in the car and asked why he said well I seen em and grabbed my gun and I said yea but nobody can hunt there you said it yourself and he said it's not a big deal.!!?? If that's the case I've seen the 10 and 8 in there!!! And he said well ima go on and see if I can do something with it.... am I just flipping for no reason 😕
Old 11-23-2021, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

If where the guy shot the buck was legal and he was legal, he had every right to kill the buck. The fact that you were baiting deer to your stand doesn't matter, it wasn't your deer or your property. We all deal with others short stopping deer that were heading our way if we do not have our own land to hunt.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-24-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

That's something that can happen when you aren't on your own land. As OT says just because you are baiting doesn't mean others can't shoot it. A word to the wise. When hunting on other peoples property it is smart to not raise a ruckus over something like this. Some landowners give permission but don't want to be involved in squabbles between hunters who use their property.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to follow along with this. A guy owns 1 of the 2 properties you don't have permission to shoot on. Said guy shoots a buck on his own property (that you still don't have permission to hunt on). Is this correct? If so, why are you upset? It's his property and his right to shoot the buck on his property. Or have I misunderstood something?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nobody can claim a deer until it wears someone's tag. Until then that deer can legally be taken by any hunter following the regulations. Until tagged it is fair game for all. It happens. Get over it.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, a deer is a free roaming animal, and if you don't own the land, and have say on who can hunt it,
you have no ground to stand on to complain about what another hunter does
its just the way it works,
and its why so many folks save up and buy there own land trying to prevent this from happening
but even most land owners will tell you,. since deer are free roaming, and unless you own a LOT of acres, deer your trying to grow or save or harvest , still can get killed by other hunters,
I have managed a lot of land over the yrs and seen this first hand
say deal with having neighbors shoot bucks your passing on, and they don't?

its just the way it is, unless your of the elite that has enough land or high fences to keep deer on your land only!

best advice is, always have a plan B in the event of a target buck getting killed
as to be honest, its not just hunters that kill them on us some times,
they can be killed by vehicles, and or other things too,
lost of few of my best bucks to vehicles , and that isn;'t any fun either!

if your willing to make the effort, you can TRY and talk to land owner and ask them to ask other hunters to work with you, but the other hunters DON"T have to if they don;t want too, unless land owner forces them too!
but in my experience, some times asking does get better results than just hooping the buck crosses your path before there's!

Old 11-25-2021, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lotta good points made. If you continue flipping on that other property owner, you can bet you'll never get hunting rights for his property.