Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Can I hunt in my second choice >

Can I hunt in my second choice

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can I hunt in my second choice

Old 11-02-2021, 03:25 PM
Spike

Default Can I hunt in my second choice

I am confused about second choice controlled deer hunting in Ontario. I can't hunt my first choice. I did not use my tag yet.
Can I hunt my second choice?
Please see attach print out from ministry.
Attached Thumbnails Can I hunt in my second choice-second-choice.pdf  
Old 11-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Instead of asking strangers who may or may not know, call the Ontario game dept. and ask them. If you want the answer, go to the source.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Says you were successful choice 1 so I would say no to hunting choice 2 but wouldn't hurt to confirm with the OMNR
Old 11-04-2021, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Says you were successful choice 1 so I would say no to hunting choice 2 but wouldn't hurt to confirm with the OMNR
I agree, I have never heard of applying for a license in any state that allows you to have a 1st pick of areas and a 2nd pick in case the 1st one was full when you were drawn. You don't get to chose where you will hunt if you were awarded a license in your 1st pick. You pick it, it is yours. The states can't be playing shuffle the hunters after the drawing is over.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I agree, I have never heard of applying for a license in any state that allows you to have a 1st pick of areas and a 2nd pick in case the 1st one was full when you were drawn. You don't get to chose where you will hunt if you were awarded a license in your 1st pick. You pick it, it is yours. The states can't be playing shuffle the hunters after the drawing is over.
I agree with you best advice is contact the folks that make the rules where you hunt, asking on a open forum will just get you MAYBE info, but who know's if its 100% correct or not??
why bother when a direct question to a local warden/game dept official can get you a 100% correct answer

NOW< as for a first or second choice hunting SPOT
OT< this happens a bunch on many properties that are more like a DRAW to hunt, or a military base or??
where they break up the property into sections and you can apply base on each section SOME TIMES, that is
the same can happen in some of the larger game/,hunting clubs
but that wouldnl;t really be a game dept question more a question to be directed at the owners of the land where hunting maybe??

Old 11-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

In Ontario the mz / shotgun hunts in some wma's are separated into controlled hunts you have to apply for a choice and wma. If drawn you can only hunt the wma and week you are drawn for. you must also purchase a deer license as the validation for the controlled hunt does not provide a separate tag just the use of a different weapon ! In the wma I hunt it is bow only except for a few weeks that are controlled hunts by draw and mz/shotgun can be used but for some reason you can't bow hunt during those weeks which sucks !

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 11-04-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

For the OP, you've been given good advice to contact a warden or your state"ministry." They know the laws and understand what your tag results mean. If I were to guess, it looks like you were drawn for your first choice, not your 2nd choice. if you can't make the dates on your first choice, you're likely out of luck but only your state's ministry or game warden can tell you for sure.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

I just picture a guy in handcuffs getting his gun confiscated saying "but sir, buckslayer69 said I could hunt here".... LOL
Old 11-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default Hunt

I am confused about second choice controlled deer hunting in Ontario. I can't hunt my first.