Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NH whitetail and turkey help

Old 09-21-2021, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default NH whitetail and turkey help

I am going to Manchester, NH to see my son and his wife around Thanksgiving.' He wants to learn to hunt, but has only gone once for goose. I want to teach him but can't get out to scout.

So, here's my question - does anyone have any help to help us be successful? We are going to do rifle white tail and archery turkey. We can pretty much go anywhere in the state, but only have two days.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2021, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

My wife grew up in Rochester, NH and her father and brothers used to hunt deer around there. She said they always took deer in that area. I've never hunted up there and can't give any info besides that but it may be worth your time to check out that area.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DJfan View Post
I am going to Manchester, NH to see my son and his wife around Thanksgiving.' He wants to learn to hunt, but has only gone once for goose. I want to teach him but can't get out to scout.

So, here's my question - does anyone have any help to help us be successful? We are going to do rifle white tail and archery turkey. We can pretty much go anywhere in the state, but only have two days.

Thanks!
If your son wants to learn to hunt you may be better off waiting until you can get enough vacation to do some research and boots on the ground scouting rather than chasing your tail in circles with no plan at all. Perhaps you can take him to a rifle range and coach him on shooting so he will be ready when you do have a place to take him hunting. Perhaps he could visit you next deer season then you could take him to places you know you can hunt and give him a better chance to be successful. Does he have his hunter education card to buy a license? You are probably excited that he wants to learn to hunt but two days of wandering around with no set plan just may turn his excitement in to boredom.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Similar to OTs suggestion...

I would narrow your focus. If he has zero experience start with the basics. A morning at the range followed by an afternoon hunt maybe?

Maybe a small game hunt to get him started?

I would definitely skip archery turkey.

If he knows the basics of firearms safety and shooting, then just get in the woods after deer for two days. Start before daylight close to the vehicle and get further as the day goes on. Then you'll have a better plan for the second day.

I've hunted and done well on brand new properties many times. One of my favorite things to do is hit a new section of public land and spend the day still hunting. Helps you learn the area, scout, learn the woods, and you may just get "lucky" and put your tag on something.

-Jake
Old 09-28-2021, 07:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DJfan View Post

Thanks!
there are so many places you can learn him how to hunt ,