Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what is the smallest buck you will take >

what is the smallest buck you will take

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is the smallest buck you will take

Old 11-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what is the smallest buck you will take

I dont know if I did the right thing or not. I could have had a four pointer by now. He was a good size for a four pointer. I sure hope he makes it till next year. What is the smallest buck you will take? Myself nothing smaller than a six pointer.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what is the smallest buck you will take

My lease has a 10 point min. that is unless we judge it to be a buck past his prime.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:36 PM

on public land the bucks are pretty much anything goes.....but on my land it has to be at least a six pointer.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:48 PM

i think it all depends on the hunter. a trophy to one person or should i say a big deer will probally be small for someone else. if you are happy with it take it who cares what anyone else says.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:26 PM

It depends on the hunter and where you are hunting, in my opinion. I finally got the guys in my group to let the spikes walk. I don' t plan on killing anything less than a 6 point, but with less than a 200 acre plot of land, there' s only so much you can do. If the deer is a healthy looking two and a half year old, I' ll probably take him because I like the meat.
Somebody who owns 1,000 acres in an area where big racks are prevalent, I' m sure the bar is raised considerably
Old 11-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Much of the land I hunt we shoot 15" and better, but I have a lot of land I shoot whatever I want. I give away a lot of deer and if I want one to give away one I will shoot it whatever it is on those areas.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:32 PM

It depends on the animal. My first buck was a small basket racked 6 point but he field dressed nearly 200 pounds we assumed he was an old deer. We now have a spike with 16-20 inch spikes running on our farm. This is his second year as a spike so we are all trying to get him.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:56 PM

if he' s legal I' ll take him.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get only one either sex tag per year and I will not put it on anything but a mature buck in the 150B&C class.If I really want the meat I will shoot a doe the last evening and use a supplementary doe tag if it is valid for that zone.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:45 PM

at least 3 points on one side...thats the legal size for arkansas

Quick Reply: what is the smallest buck you will take

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.