Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dragging Deer/ Question

Old 11-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Dragging Deer/ Question

Ok, Monday evening I killed my buck at 4 PM I drug the deer and didn' t get to the field where I could drive and pick it up until 6 PM. After countless times of sitting on the ground on the brink of passing out I was exhausted when it was all over.

Here' s the question

What can I buy or what can I make to make it a lot easier to drag a deer out of the woods. I had hunted with a club all of my life until now and never really had to drag a deer that far by myself, a few occasions I had hauled a doe out but nothing that outweighed me ( I weigh 140lbs and the deer had me beat). Any advice?
Old 11-07-2003, 09:43 AM

Default RE: Dragging Deer/ Question

Draging a deer can really suck! I love my 6-wheeler! LOL There are a lot of carts and drags on the market. Do an internet search or look in a book like Cabelas. I have made a few carts for people using 1 inch square tubing and bike tires. One guy I know hunts public land. He wanted me to make him a ladder stand and a cart. He wanted to be able to put the stand up and take it down when he left. (He didn' t trust climbers.) Instead of making him 2 different items, I incorporated both into one. I built him a ladder stand and added wheels close to the seat area. This way he wouldn' t have to worry about making two trips or trying to cart a stand, cart and if he was lucky, a deer out at the same time. He loves it and I have since made several like this for people. I hope this helps. Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 11-07-2003, 09:49 AM

When there is snow on the ground we take our stuff first out to truck and pick up the plastic sled. We used the sled to drag the deer out of the woods. When there is no snow, we use a drag rope with a waist wrap and drag the deer out after gutting it. Not much fun if you are dragging a long way and no snow.

Tomster
Old 11-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Being a lone wolf most of the time I keep a hand truck with inflatable tires on it, just bungee cord the deer on it and away you go, the nice thing with this is once you get back to the truck you just lean the top of the hand truck against the tailgate and lift the bottom of the hand truck with the deer on it and slide it right into the truck.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-07-2003, 10:38 AM

dragging sure does suk[X(]--but then again, thats another wonderful thing about hunting, take time to find deer, then afterwards (if succesful )draging it out. think of it as a reward..
Old 11-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

thanks, I had some sorta idea of making something like a dolley that I could go back and get from the truck after the kill. I saw a drag rope at wal-mart yesterday that was blaze orange and tied around you like a harness and then attached to the deer, it was only $4.79 so I may pick up one of those for the time being.

Thanks Everyone
Old 11-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my black safety strap and make sure I tie the front legs forward around the neck of the deer. That way it makes for easier draggin because the legs don' t get tangled as much.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Something to consider when dragging a deer is it is easier to drag it from the head, as it is with the hide. I carry braid, coated rope in my pack and then tie the front legs to the head and the rope to the neck or horns, loop around my waist and away i go. The sled or crazy carpet idea works well in snow or grassy areas. I do have a home brew cart with axle and wheel barrel wheels on a 2x2 frame that works well when there is no snow and not loads of under brush to try and navigate through. Anyway you slice it is work and will cause a sweat...unless you have a ATV and can get to the animal(my preferred way to drag)
Old 11-07-2003, 11:42 AM

I tie the front legs around the neck and use the blaze orange harness you can get a Wal Mart.Only use a short length of rope.So when you put the harness on, the deer' s head is off the ground.Also don' t use the rope that comes with the harness.It' s not good rope and it broke 4 times on me when I was dragging my deer out.Take 6' of good rope with you.A plastic sled makes it easier even without snow.The older I get the more I like to climb up hill to start my hunt.That way the drag should be down hill.

Quick Reply: Dragging Deer/ Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.