Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new hunting property help

Old 02-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Nice bucks!

-Jake
Old 05-01-2020, 04:31 AM
Spike

I have a small tract of land myself, 100% hardwoods with no real bedding areas or food plots. I utilize supplemental feeding year round to help keep deer on the property or close by, hunt it very lightly, and that allows me to kill mature deer every season.
Not sure of the regulations in KY, but that might be something to consider. You do need a bit of a budget to spend on feed though ....only down side I see.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a spot similar to that behind the house with the exception a third of it is extremely thick, you can hardly walk through it. This place holds deer year round. They mostly stay in the thicket but before the crops are cut they spend more time in the open areas heading to and from the food source. One of the corners of that property is full of evergreens with no ground cover. This spot is a main transition area with extremely wore out trails and rubs everywhere.

Another spot I hunt is exactly what you describe. Before the crops are cut is the best time to hunt it. They are not always there when the fields are bare. Several thicker woods are across one of these fields.

My suggestions is leave trail cams year round. Check them every few months. Hunt this season normally. If they are absent after the harvest, early next year take a chainsaw and create some density.