Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help!

Old 01-03-2020, 06:04 AM
Spike

Default Help!

Hoping someone can help! I just started using a grunt call this year and on two different occasions in two different fields I've had a doe leave the field and about a minute after she left I grunted a few times and both times she blew at me and took off through the woods.. Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Put your grunt call away and watch deer.

As you spend time in the woods, you'll learn how the deer are communicating in your area.

Some are really vocal. Some aren't.

Watch and listen and learn.
-Jake
Old 01-03-2020, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

She must have smelled or spotted you.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Kristian14
Hoping someone can help! I just started using a grunt call this year and on two different occasions in two different fields I've had a doe leave the field and about a minute after she left I grunted a few times and both times she blew at me and took off through the woods.. Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated!
Outside of the rut you have about the same chance of spooking a deer as attracting it. A deer blowing means it is not happy with something. Put your call back in your bag.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with what has been said.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I have never used a grunt call on does, only bucks. On does I use a fawn bleat. The only thing I expect/ hope for is to stop them, but a bleat will often bring a doe closer.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

I always carry a grunt call and can't ever remember having a deer blow at me just because I used it. Usually the does just ignore it and bucks its 50/50 they investigate or ignore it. Most will stop and look in the direction the grunt is coming from. I have had does blow at bucks grunting and run during the rut . Usually this is because they are being chased all over by every buck in the woods .
Old 01-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

I use a grunt tube to stop deer for a shot. It works most of the time on bucks. Does too, if I blow it enough times to make them wonder what the hell is making all that noise.

I'm not good enough to actively call anything up to me, but I do credit my grunt tube with stopping them long enough or making them turn around to enable clean shots.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

just before the chase phase of the rut and during the chase phase does will run from buck sounds, They are not ready and do not wish to be near bucks, have heard a few time before,