Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I owe this buck to geese

Old 12-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default I owe this buck to geese

That's right, to a flock of geese flying over head.

Ohio's late season was this weekend. I was looking for a buck and planned on hunting all day Saturday and Sunday in the morning. But then getting some sleep before heading to work Sunday night.

Saturday heard allot of shooting, lot of guys out. I saw a little doe and saw a buck, but it stayed in the thick stuff and I never got a good look at it. Weather was perfect, the squirrels were busy and I had an enjoyable day in the woods.

Sunday I hunted until 930 then went home for church, got some lunch and headed back out, figured I wouldn't sleep any good anyway. By then it was sunny, 48 degrees, and no wind. With that warm sun, it was tough staying awake, perfect day to be in the woods though.

I wasn't really expecting to see anything, but I was happy to be out. About 445 I saw a doe coming from behind me and to my right on an old logging road. I let my gun sit beside me and I held still, I didn't see any other deer with it and I wasn't looking for doe. The doe closed the distance and was less than twenty yards away when I saw horns coming behind her. By this point the doe had me pinned and I couldn't reach for my rifle or turn my body around to get a shot.

I held completely still. The doe came within twenty feet and did the head shake, foot stomp thing. It knew something wasn't right. I had my left eye closed(I swear I've had deer bust me due to making eye contact!) and was barely even taking a breath. I could see the buck in the peripheral vision of my right eye and he was on high alert watching the doe.

After what seemed like an hour the doe finally put it's head down and went back to eating. It worked it's way past me but the buck was still alert and zoned in on where I was. My only hope was that the buck would blindly follow the doe and once it passed me I could get a shot.

At this point I heard a flock of geese approaching. There's corn fields about half a mile south of where I was and the geese had been flying in all afternoon. As the geese flew over head the buck, who was on high alert, acted surprised. He sort of hunkered down and looked up, eventually turning around broadside to me, still looking up. That allowed me to shoulder my rifle left handed, and lean around the tree to make the shot. The buck crumpled at the shot, gave a few kicks and it was over.

Shot busted both shoulders and took out the top of the heart.

it was a fun and intense hunt!

-Jake
​​​​​​
Old 12-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

congrats there jake & great story.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Old 12-23-2019, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, sounds like fun.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice buck Jake. Looks like you'll have a full freezer this year. And you got him with the 99 too. Congratulations.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats! Are you going to get him mounted sorry coudn't resist with all the should I get it mounted threads lol
Old 12-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Congrats! Are you going to get him mounted sorry coudn't resist with all the should I get it mounted threads lol

If I did I'd have to shoot a goose and have it hanging from the ceiling above him

-Jake
Old 12-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala

If I did I'd have to shoot a goose and have it hanging from the ceiling above him

-Jake
What's good for the goose is good for the gander...:
Old 12-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I enjoyed the short story,
it brought back many similar hunting memories
Old 12-24-2019, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

awesome when things work out well, congrats, 99's are awesome woods rifles!
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.