Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer hunting with a 1911 as backup... >

Deer hunting with a 1911 as backup...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting with a 1911 as backup...

Old 06-09-2021, 12:37 PM
Spike

Carrying a small gun like that makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
I never hunt without a backup handgun. When bear and turkey hunting, I bring a .44 magnum revolver. For deer, I bring a .357 magnum revolver.
I find this amusing and just wondering - don't you ever encounter bears while deer hunting? Why not carry the .44 all the time? The only time I carry a sidearm is during archery season (in states where legal), Using a muzzleloader in regular season, or if I'm hunting with it as my only firearm. I feel no need to carry the extra weight.
Also, I don't like the .45 acp as a hunting cartridge. If I were to carry a semi auto in a 1911 design it would be in a 10mm.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:54 AM
Spike

I have taken numerous deer, and hogs with my Springfield V16 Longslide in .45 Super. With the Buffalo Bore 200 gr JHP at 1200 FPS I have never had one run more than 30 yds. I do miss the older Triton manufactured ammunition as I felt it was far more accurate than the Buffalo Bore. When I am muzzleloader hunting in bear country, I have the pistol loaded with the 255 gr Hardcast Flatnose, never had an issue with feeding. I have found that I am far more consistent with this pistol, than I am with either of my Redhawks or my Glock. Plus the added side I can run .45 ACP through it as my EDC, and it even handles CCI shotshells well.

Use what works for you, for me when it comes to pistols and pcc the .45 ACP, .45 Super and .45 Colt, are my choices as opposed to 10mm, .44 mag, etc.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always felt the rifle itself was plenty. I also frequently have more gizmos and gadgets than I need to begin with on a hunting excursion, and a handgun would only add to the clutter.