Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Evasive Buck tips

Old 11-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you rattle or grunt...chances are a savvy buck will try to come in downwind of your location; so a quick shot might be called for, if he catches your scent stream.

A lot of savvy bucks will only scent check there scrapes at night. So hunting by a scrape might not be your meal ticket --- At least that has been the way for me a number of times...as well as for many other hunters.

Bottom lands are not my preferred stand location --- unless necessary --- because winds tend to swirl around a bit down there.

I believe that weaned doe fawns...here in Maryland, come into estrus around December 3, 4th and 5th, including any other doe that hasn't been bred yet for that year.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-14-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 11-15-2019, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

I think Rock hit it right on. He is winding you first then going to the other locations. He has you figured out so now use that against him. You are going to have to be stealthy to get one over on him but it can be done.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

One little trick that I have learned:

Tie a long piece of bright survey flagging to a overhanging branch on a sapling by a deer trail near your stand and let it flutter in the wind. The deer will possibly come up to it and stop walking; so as to possibly give you a shot opportunity. He'll look at it inquisitively like a dog, by turning his head back and forth, trying to fiqure out what the heck it is.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-15-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 AM
Spike

So I went out this morning. To my spot I was talking about. Its perfect! Wind is almost always to my face
and never at my back. And he came closer today but kept his body hidden in the thick brush, but the point is, thanks to yall, hes coming way closer. I'm gonna try to get him in closer.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:34 PM
Spike

Nice - keep us updated!
Old 11-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Spike

Thats the fun of chasing a mature buck! Stick with it and good luck