Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ladder Stand Opinions and tips. >

Ladder Stand Opinions and tips.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder Stand Opinions and tips.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default Ladder Stand Opinions and tips.

So to start this off, I'm new to actively hunting. It's my first year. I've been surrounded by it and helped my whole life. I'm wanting to know yalls opinion on how soon I should hunt from my stand I just set today. I wanna check the activity tomorrow but dont wanna spook em too much
Old 11-13-2019, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Hunt it every chance you can. You're new, you'll learn something each time you go.

As far as just setting a stand. I've shot plenty of deer from stands I had just set.

​​​​​​
-Jake
Old 11-13-2019, 04:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had my best luck hunting out of a newly placed stand. Every time you use a stand you risk tipping off the deer either by scent, sound or sight. My best tip is to be very concerned with wind direction. I never use a stand if the location allows my scent to drift towards where the deer are coming from. I always try to have 2 or more stands set up and I determine which i'll use with the wind as one of the factors. If all factors are equal I try to alternate sitting locations just so I don't get patterned.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:54 AM
Spike

Agree with Jake. I set up a two person ladder stand (and had to do a lot of brush clearing to do so) and saw deer prints in the dirt in front of it the next day.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pertsonally think many times the best time to hunt a stand is as soon as you hang it, before giving anything time to know its there!
BUT this can depend on how stealthy you were in setting stand up
if you drove a big atv/utv, had a bunch of folks helping and sweating and making a LOT of noise
well then, YOU can still use it first time out
but some times it comes down to your feelings
a deer can walk by any time, and NO one knows why or how they will react to disturbances
or human scent

as this many times comes down to WHERE the disturbance is at, how deer are in YOUR area, some tolerate more human activity and pay little to no attention to it, and in some places, deer will LEAVE a area for a while if they find human scent in it

so, sadly, there is NOT correct answer or really wrong one IMO

if you want to hunt it, HUNT it,
if you THINK< deer will be bothered by all the ruckus you made setting stand up
\ wait a few days
or WAIT for the better wind for that stand!
as wind does matter again, more so in some pl;aces, but all deer live by there noses IMO!
Old 11-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Spike

I appreciate yalls input. I set it up, unwind of my last location about 15-20 yards of apparently heavy deer traffic. And I have this one buck. Who seems to be taunting me.