Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeling sick

Old 10-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default Feeling sick

Ya'll I missed the buck of a lifetime tonight. Took my 11 year old daughter today, sat in a big blind we built together...a few minutes before dark we started getting our stuff together and went to leave the blind. As I was shutting the door she started beating on me,yelling deer, deer,deer!!! I turned around was like where? She yells buck! And points. I turned around, 50 yds away frozen, staring at her yelling was the biggest old boy I ever seen... because of houses and livestock in the area was using a 12g with a slug...so I aimed a little high. Apparently to high...so sick to my stomach. Reckon he will be back?
Old 10-27-2019, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably not in the near future. Put it this way, You'd feel worse if you had wounded it. The way it is, you may get another crack at him.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:56 AM
Spike

I feel for you.
It's why they call it hunting.
There is about a million things that can happen between the time you see the deer and the time the arrow or bullet strikes it - hopefully in the right spot.
Maybe you'll get another crack at him. If not, it was still a heart thumping experience which is much of what hunting is all about.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ultradog MN
I feel for you.
There is about a million things that can happen between the time you see the deer and the time the arrow or bullet strikes it - hopefully in the right spot.
Maybe you'll get another crack at him. If not, it was still a heart thumping experience which is much of what hunting is all about.
Im just glad my kid experienced it.... her yelling shoot it! Didnt help my shot...LOL
Old 10-27-2019, 04:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ultradog MN
I feel for you.
yep.....such a funny experince with the kid...it really was a comical situation. Laughing about it today while at work...
Old 10-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's like losing the Super Bowl on a dramatic play---gotta turn it into fuel for next time.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Just curious how you have your slugger sighted in if you are having to adjust your aim at 50 yards...
Old 11-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I always set mine up about 2" high at 50 figuring it would be close at 100. My shots here in Vt are seldom beyond 100.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can also see trigger pull being messed up in an unexpected shot opportunity. Even at 50 yards, one of those shotgun triggers can make for a rough pull when the shot is rushed.