Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with opinions

Old 11-04-2003, 11:08 AM

Default Help with opinions

Hey, everyone...

First, let me say that this by posting this, I' m most assuredly NOT trying to be a troll. I' ve had a discussion on another chat board re: hunting, and was challenged by someone over there to post an opinion on a hunting board (basically, the guy is being a jerk).

Here' s the deal...I said I have no trouble with hunting, as long as you eat what you kill, but I don' t believe in trophy hunting just for the sake of getting the trophy. Just my opinion. This guy continues to accuse me of being " anti-hunting" , despite the fact that I enjoy all sorts of game (venison, elk, bison, fowl, etc.), whenever my buddies bring something back (haven' t actually hunted since I was a teenager myself, but support them bringing back some tasty game for me ).

So...what do you think? Does supporting deer, elk, etc., hunting but being against trophy hunting (like bear, lion, etc.) make me anti-hunting? Or not? Or is it somewhere in the middle?

Please, please, please don' t anyone get the impression I' m trying to start a flame war here. Just showing someone that a) I' m not worried about posting my position on a hunting board, and b) trying to get a feel for how that position is viewed by others.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Stephen
Old 11-04-2003, 11:16 AM

Default RE: Help with opinions

I only shoot what I will eat. I think you are somewhere in the middle. My friends only want to kill something. Granted, they eat what they kill, but they just have to kill something. If I get skunked, I don' t care. I still was able to hunt, and thats all I need. I don' t consider bear hunting trophy hunting. People still eat the meat. I don' t know about lion, ect. That fact that you support your friends gives you ground. What ever reason you no longer hunt, doesn' t matter. Given the circumstance, I dought you are an anti.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:18 AM

remember this is america, post your opinion and that is what is great about the usa, not everyone will agree with you. Long as you aren,t a tree hugger that rallies against hunting, speak your mind....
Old 11-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if we were ever seated at a party we would have a lively discussion, but I would never call you an anti-hunter.

Can you look at it from another perspecitive? Let' s say you lived in California where lion hunting has been totally banned and you 8 year old daughter was out in the woods where you live in the suburbs and she was killed by a cougar. Or you were out hiking in Colorado and another loved one of yours was attacked and killed by a bear. Is it still only trophy hunting or maybe is there a purpose if the meat is not eaten? If you study anywhere where hunting of these species has been banned, they become problem animals for people. In Colorado, where bear hunting continues, but they banned baiting, bear populations have increased to where when we have a drought, they are starving, and they attack people and break into peoples houses to get food. Would you feel the same if this happened to your house.

I think I understand your point of view, because I have a problem with anyone who just wants to " kill" somethingl. However, if there is a purpose behind the hunt, even if it doesn' t directly affect the hunter, I am all for it.

By the way, the only bear I have ever killed I ate.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:35 AM

I agree here...I have no trouble removing animals in conflict with humans, or for anti-depredation efforts.

Thanks for the input...much appreciated!

Stephen
Old 11-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course that is my point. If you don' t hunt them, 99% of the time they will become problems.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:00 PM

I wouldnt say or classify you as " anti" , everyone is entitled to there own.. as ...(oops lost it) well it was stated earlier " to each is own" . I work with this guy who doesnt hunt any more due to bad hip and knee, but loves the the thought of years past, he doesnt understand why the ' trophy hunt idea' he said " your going out to hunt for that animal anyhow, anything is better then nothing " ....see it works ..' to each is own' .
Old 11-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

As a " Trophy Hunter" I take exception to the notion that I am just after a mount, I love meat and it is a reward I enjoy, that comes with hunting and a successful harvest. For me I consider myself a " Trophy Hunter" because I do not harvest any animal but rather an animal that fit into my standards(MINE, not anybody elses). It is a personal choice, I have taken this route to challenge myself personally and if I harvest an animal that is a trophy and will be mounted it is no different than the meat - a reward to my hardwork, diligents and efforts which i can enjoy for a lifetime. You know what if I have a unfilled tag at the end of my hunt I feel no shame in my desicion and give thanks for the opportunity to be out in the woods, reflecting on other success that transpired. Pulling the trigger for most hunters is the last action and not often first on their minds when asked: Why do you hunt? It is a desicion that only YOU can make, but to classify all " Trophy Hunters" like you did is incorrect & I strongly disagree.

If you hunt to only kill the mount and waste the meat or other parts of a game animal that are usable then in my books you are not a hunter but a poacher. Please do not mix up the two!

For dangerous game like bear or cougars, it has been stated and I agree Population control is the main objective to ensure interaction with humans is not negative.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:32 PM

I would only kill what I planned on eating. I don' t care if I get a buck or a doe, as long as they are mature. I don' t eat squirrel and I don' t hunt them either. I turkey hunt which is very tasty.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:16 PM

I respect the fact the you were willing to post on a hunting website. I' m sure I' m in the extreme minority in that I love to hunt, but I am a vegetarian. I hunt everything from doves to ducks, from rabbits to deer and everything I harvest is consumed by someone, there is no waste. I would also love to someday hunt predators such as a Mountain Lion which if you realize the laws of nature need to be kept in balance by hunters even though I freely admit that wouldn' t be the reason I hunt them. All I would ask is that you keep an open mind.

Quick Reply: Help with opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.