Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ammo suggestions ..7mm mag i' m using.. >

ammo suggestions ..7mm mag i' m using..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ammo suggestions ..7mm mag i' m using..

Old 11-04-2003, 11:06 AM

Default ammo suggestions ..7mm mag i' m using..

I own a browning medallion a- bolt 2 in 7mm rem mag. ive tried using winchester ,remmington and federal ammo.. ive found that with 175gr -trophy bonded bear claw- shooting 1/2 in. groups 150 yds. .... ok now here is the dilema--i was reading ia a few other post' s that alot of people don' t care for the bear claw, is there something else that would be better in that -high weight- catagory? or should i just keep with what im shooting?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ammo suggestions ..7mm mag i' m using..

If you are shoting 1/2 inch groups with that bullet, don' t change a thing. All bullets will not perform to the shooters satisfaction sometimes, usually because of bad shot placement, but that is a very good bullet for elk sized game. If you are talking about deer hunting, it is a bit of an overkill unless you are shooting a 350lb plus deer.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your three or five shot groups are averaging 1/2" at 150 yards I would not change either.You are measuring center to center of the two holes farthest away I assume.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Opinions are just that, if you are getting good results with the Bearclaw both on the range and in game, fret not![8D] If you haven' t used the BC for game with it shooting groups of 1/2" it is certainly worth a go, for what it is worth I haven' t heard to many poor things about this bullet in regards to game performance.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks for advice to all!! i guess ill stick with what i got......is 175 gr too much? for deer? i chose the higher grn. for a black bear thats roaming around our ridge, unfortunatly i havnt seen it no where,(thats too bad-ha-ha).
Old 11-05-2003, 10:48 AM

The 175 Bearclaw is one of the best bullets you could be using in a 7mag. Anyone who says its not obviously has no experience with it. Its my all time favorite in the 7 mag for use on elk, and will do fine on deer too. In my rifles its a little more accurate than most premium bullets Ive used ( A-Frame, X Bullet, Grand Slam, etc. )
Old 11-05-2003, 11:11 AM

Yep, if it' s not broke, don' t fix it. I have been shooting a 7 for years and have been using the Fed Premium 162 gr Nosler Partition. Great performance when it hits home.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot that same bullet out of my 7mm with Federal Premiums. It' s been a good bullet for me. I use it for moose and deer.
At first I thought it would be a bit big for deer but I had just been moose hunting and didn' t want to buy more ammo and resight the gun in so I just used the 175' s. They were great, the controlled expansions means not a lot of meat damage.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:25 AM

I' ve had some issues in the past with the 175 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded shells. My experience has been that they tend to zip right through without opening up. This was on two different whitetails. I will say they work great on bigger game like elk.

I dropped down to 150 grain and haven' t had a problem since.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bear Claws are one of the best bullets out there. If they weren' t so expensive, my name would be " BearClaw.308" instead of " BarnesX.308" .

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge

Quick Reply: ammo suggestions ..7mm mag i' m using..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.