Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is it too late to clean my gun? >

Is it too late to clean my gun?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it too late to clean my gun?

Old 11-04-2003, 08:52 AM

Default Is it too late to clean my gun?

The firearms opener is less than 2 weeks away. If I clean my gun within the next few days, will the scent from the gun oil still be present?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is it too late to clean my gun?

The animals will most likely smell you before they smell the gun oil.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

SJ nailed it, clean your gun and don' t worry about it. I am scent aware but i use product such as breakfree and never had it cost me an opportunity. Oh yes I have spooked game before but I am positive they smelt my odour long before the guns. If your really worried about go to your local shop and ask for scentfree products they are available for a price
Old 11-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

First is all cleaning your gun should not be an option. It should always be free of anything that can cause damage. I' m sure we all have some residue on our guns that may be picked up by the deer' s scence of smell, I mean there' s not much they miss. Being as scent free as possible and using wind direction to your advantage, outweighs any thoughts of hunting with a dirty gun.....Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:09 AM

I clean my gun every day when I get back from the field. You could probably spray some scent killer on it, that might do the trick. I have never worried about scent durring rifle season. The deer already know where ever they go, the will smell/hear/see humans.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:50 PM

If you are worried about oil smell try this: Give it a good cleaning, then use brake cleaner to get rid of all the solvent or oil present. It will evaporate completely, leaving nothing but dry metal. Then lubricate those parts that need a little with a spray on dry lubricant. Remington makes a good one called Dri-Lube. It dont have hardly any smell at all. If you are going to hunt in wet conditions, use Johnson' s paste wax on the exposed metal areas. Once you buff it out it dont smell neither. I have used those methods a lot because I hunt in a very humid climate. Finally I just got smart and bought a stainless/synthetic rifle and quit worrying about it.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

After cleaning my gun I run a couple patches wet with rubbing alcohol through the barrel followed by a couple of dry patches. Then I wipe down the outside of the gun with alcohol too. I use Hoppes #9 solvent and the alcohol will get rid of that smell completely. Then I' ll run a patch with just a little Remoil down the barrel and put a light coat on the outside of the gun. The Remoil doesn' t have a very strong smell.

I' ve never thought of using wax. I might give that a try this year.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:21 PM

Dont use scent free , it will rust your metal. Brake cleaner is for brakes...use a couple of drops of rem oil and you will be good. Dont clean your bore...after you have sited it in or it will be off again. clean the bore after hunting season.
Dont get so caught up on scent, chill and enjoy hunting. Clean your rifle and oil it. or it will rust...
Old 11-04-2003, 07:39 PM

I was worried about the same thing.I was looking through the sporting goods section at Wally World and found scent free oil.It' s a high quality oil that works just fine.We go through alot of trouble to keep ourselves as scent free as we can,so why not our weapons.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I' m with .308 Swar, don' t clean the bore after sighting in. The first round out of a clean bore will be off quite a bit.

Jim /*

Quick Reply: Is it too late to clean my gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.