Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Asking for advice about a Spotting Scope for Hunting >

Asking for advice about a Spotting Scope for Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Asking for advice about a Spotting Scope for Hunting

Old 02-15-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

yeah,Ive had and used a 38 year old mill surplus 10x 50mm STEINER binocular,
on hunts for almost 4 decades now, old tech, heavy,a P.I.T.A. to pack around compared to whats currently available,
but at dusk/dawn ,theres an amazing difference in the ability to make out objects with those field glasses,
vs the typical $70-200 sporting goods or big box store binoculars most guys carry,
quality always costs more, I pissed away a years tax refund , paid about $550 back then (1979 )
more than a weeks pay. but amortized over the last 38 years thats roughly $15 a year ,
so it was not a bad deal considering the thousands of hours they were used.
your lucky, technology has vastly improved and value per dollar has improved and cost for value,
has been reduced, today you get far better quality for the price paid.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-15-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Spike

We do tons of glassing here in Utah from very long distances. Many use spotting scopes however, a lot of us including the guides just use a high powered binocular 12x50's and some use 15's. They are a lot quicker for us to put on a tripod plus it eliminates the bulk of packing a spotting scope around. I've hunted whitetail in Texas a few times and every time was from a tree stand. A spotting scope would have been too much because I wasn't glassing a hillside from a long distance. A nice pair of 8 or 10 power binoculars would do the job. Plus you save the expense of the spotting scope which can run upwards of $1500 or more depending on the brand. You also have to consider how often you'd be using it. If you do decide to get one, make sure it has a great warranty.