Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hang-on stand question

Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Spike

Default Hang-on stand question

I have a Lone Wolf Alpha 2 ordered, along with a set of Lone Wolf sticks. I have used climbers primarily over the years, though I already own two lock-ons, A Millennium and a Gorilla. My question is....how high do you like to set your stand in relation to your top step? I have heard some folks say they like to step DOWN a little to the stand, others like it level, etc. Merely looking for what's deemed most efficient.

Last edited by born2climb; 01-03-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I for safety reasons always like to step down ONTO a stand, gives me a feel for how things are before getting on and if ever in icy weather, like in a stand and rains turns to ice, its nicer to me having a exit this way!

also, don't forget that your NOT supposed to leave a hand on stand on a tree for any amount of time, most recommend less than 2 weeks, though I know few that follow this, but it is for safety as tree's are growing non stop and UV can also damage a strap

there set and forget them like deals!

Last edited by mrbb; 01-03-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Spike

Thanks. I won't be leaving it out too long....likely a month at most. I own/operate a tree service, so I am all too familiar with girdling.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:27 AM
Spike

I make my living from a saddle, and so don't care to hunt from one. Safe? Absolutely. I've been upwards of 100' in a saddle, chainsaw in hand. I went up a large water oak about four years ago and didn't cone down until I had it completely limbed/topped to a stub. A bit over 7 hours in the saddle. (I've done it enough that when I hunt, I want to SIT!) I've worked with guys who used their work gear to hunt from. I don't care to use my work gear recreationally, and there's always the issue of scent from hours of sweat and exposure to saw gas/oil/fumes.

As a follow up to my initial post, what are you guys using as far as a climbing belt to hang the stands if you're hanging prior to the hunt? Full safety system or a climbing belt? Amazon has a number of climbing belts in the $30-$60 range that have side-Ds for the lineman belt to attach to. I thought of trying one of those. When hanging ahead of time, there's not much use in the fall restraint system, as you're only setting the stand. (You don't attach the overhead tie-in until actually mounting the stand).
Old 01-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a guy that when I go to hang stands, I actually take an aluminum extension ladder, I have managed to find a easy way to mount a 20 ft er or longer on my atv and still be able to pick my way thru the forest and farms I hunt, I can then carry ALL needed things, from pole saws, stands , steps, cordless tools and so on and the best part of it all for me is I can use the ladder to SEE the view from possible stand locations before wasting time and energy to hang a stand to find out its NOT the best place to be! and needing to move to another tree or??

I tend to do this stuff in off season, many times THIS time of yr when ground is frozen and NO leaves on tree's so I get a idea on view as in most of the later hunting I tend to do!
and also just for ME the ability to hang a stand safer, I strap top of ladder to tree and park atv at base of ladder
I have hung a few hundred stands this way from lock on to ladder stands(having the extension ladder and adding a pulley to tree above things makes pulling up a HEAVY ladder stand simple with ONE person then!, can attach straps safer too IMO

so for me, that is my preferred way to hang stands, I know not everyone can do this for many reasons, but its what I find safest and easiest for hanging stands alone at least!
as gfor harness, I have a few of them, either full on tree service like harness's or the so called one's made by treestand makers/ vest makers marketed for hunters, I have yet to say one is better than another really for what I use them for, , fit to YOU and inspecting often is more important maybe than just a model here , as we all ain;t shaped the same!
make sure its weight rated for you and things you will be holding and carrying while using, NOT just your body weight!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I do it the same way as mrbb does. For a few reasons, that he mentioned. It's nice to be able to check the spot with a ladder before doing any work.

And once finding the spot, it's allot easier to hang the stand from the ladder.

I know that method isn't ideal for everyone, but it works for me.

-Jake
Old 01-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

I should also add, I've used a hang on stand as a portable stand many times in the past. I strap the steps to the stand and carry it all in my back.

This is perfect for areas without good climbing trees for a climber. I typically like to set my top step almost equal with the stand. Little bit higher if possible, but not much, only a few inches.

-Jake
Old 01-07-2019, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually run my climbing sticks above my stand. That way I have a hand hold while stepping from the sticks to the stand. I may also screw a step into the tree above the top stick for a hand hold and a bow holder.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to always step down onto the stand. Let's you apply pressure slowly.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I am a certified Hunter Education instructor for the state of WI. Been doing this over 25 yrs. WE are required to teach Tree Stand Safety.

Safety and Hangon stands.
ALWAYS have your climb in ladder you use to get into your hangon stand with ladder rungs higher than the foot platform of your stand.
ALWAYS STEP DOWN into the hangon stand platform and make sure you step in the CENTER of the foot platform. This places your weight on the stand and creates a weight fulcrum which keeps the stand in place.
Stepping down into the center of the foot platform you should still have 3 points of contact with the ladder. That means 2 hands, one foot still on your climb up ladder and then ease your weight to your platform foot rest.
ALWAYS climb up and down from your stand keeping 3 points of contact with your ladder.
ALWAYS use a qualified Fall Restraint system.
ALWAYS use a Life Line while climbing up or down from your stand.
ALWAYS insoect your tie down straps used to secure your stand. Any fray or wear replace.
NEVER jump up and down on the foot platform.

Hangon stands are popular.And they are easy to set up.
I also use an extension ladder as mentioned.

A few other comments.
Do read your state regs. Some hangon stands use a screw in peg and on public land in my state that is illegal.
You can't screw anything into a tree, nor cut branches dead or alive to create shooting lanes. So be careful.
AND ALWAYS use a live tree.

TREE STANDS of all types is the number one cause of hunter related accidents.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.