Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Learning to age deer by there hooves >

Learning to age deer by there hooves

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Learning to age deer by there hooves

Old 11-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Learning to age deer by there hooves

Hey there everyone
New to the forum
I was wondering if some of you know how to age deer by there hooves as all I see is tracks. The deer where I live travel mostly at night and i don't have a trail cam yet.
I can age the deer by looking at them but not by there tracks. I can't tell if the tracks are from a buck or doe. Hopefully someone here can help me.
Thanks

Tracker22
Old 11-30-2018, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

You're asking allot from a deer track.

As you see more, you'll learn what a big track looks like, what a heavy deer looks like, etc.

A big track doesn't always mean a mature deer. But it's usually a decent indicator.

Some of these corn fed yearling farm deer can put on some pounds and leave a deep track.

-Jake
Old 11-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

I think you got to get out and shoot some deer,or atleast see them.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The standard method of accurately aging deer is by looking at the tooth wear and replacement in the bottom jaw. The tracks will tell you how big their feet are.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:40 AM
Spike

Hey there
Thanks for info I had lots of deer come threw last night and I measured two different tracks from different deer. I tried to included the two pictures of the tracks from the deer but couldn't. The tracks are about 4 1/2'' long including the dew claw. Not sure if that will help.

Thanks

Tracker22
Old 12-01-2018, 05:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tracker22
Hey there
Thanks for info I had lots of deer come threw last night and I measured two different tracks from different deer. I tried to included the two pictures of the tracks from the deer but couldn't. The tracks are about 4 1/2'' long including the dew claw. Not sure if that will help.

Thanks

Tracker22
I'm sorry, but I did not understand the connection of your post with deer hunting?
Old 12-01-2018, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Where I hunt the bigger bucks have much larger foot prints than the does etc. I see alot of tracks like you but around this week and next when I see a huge deer track I know that the big guy is back looking for late does and its time to get serious again !
Old 12-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

All you can tell from tracks is a buck vs a doe vs fawn. Also possible weight range based on the size of the track and how deep it is into the dirt. Of course direction of travel. Can’t tell Age from a track.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Spike

Hey there

Could someone tell me how you know if it's a buck or a doe.
That would be great.
thanks

Tracker22
Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO there is no sure fire way to tell what track is made by, a male or female
BUT IF you find some MUCH largeer than normal tracks, odds are there from a buck, as bucks tend to get larger but NOT always
as a fact the heaviest recorded deer(or was last time I checked) in PA< was a DOE that also had antlers, shot in north central PA 300+ lbs doe with antlers
so, I gather it also had some very large feet to hold it up

I have also personally seen some younger deer with VERY large feet, so I would NOT waste my time trying to learn how to GUESS at a deer's age by its tracks
learn how they live, eat and survive and you will soon FIND deer a lot easier, as even when you KNOW what made the tracks, you still ain;t killing it till you can find the deer making them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.