Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The story of the "spooky Dodger" >

The story of the "spooky Dodger"

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The story of the "spooky Dodger"

Old 11-19-2018, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The story of the "spooky Dodger"

My best friend and hunting buddy passed away from cancer a couple years ago and his wife is still nice enough to let me hunt the farm and put me up on the weekends when I'm there hunting. Ive been scouting this buck since august and have had many encounters with him. We tried to get on him during the youth shotgun season and he just kept finding his way around us although we had some fun encounters he was never in range. After youth season my daughter named him "Spooky dodger" I continued hunting him on through October with several encounters but he continued to stay just out of range. Finally November 14th(2 days before the opening of gun season) the rut had him slipping and he found himself standing 20 yards in front of me broadside in the broad daylight and all I could think about is how special he would be for my daughter or the woman that lets me hunt the farm and I watched him walk away. On the 16th opening day of shotgun season the story ended as he walked out and gave the woman that lets me hunt and invade her home the same opportunity. She was as exited as I remember being when hunting as a kid. He is the biggest buck Ive ever let walk by and it was well worth it.

Last edited by rockport; 11-19-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

What a dandy buck. Not many would have allowed that buck to walk away. Very generous act on your part.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

congrats, and Yeah at times it has to feel good helping someone rather new to the sport succeed, especially when they appreciate your efforts
Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What a dandy buck. Not many would have allowed that buck to walk away. Very generous act on your part.
Thanks, It was a very rewarding experience. I was hoping I wouldn't regret it and I do not.

Last edited by rockport; 11-19-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job. Congratulations.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Spike

Congrats on a awesome buck .
Old 11-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Her smile says it all. What a nice thing to do. Congratulations to you both.!