Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Common courtesy/expectations on state game lands >

Common courtesy/expectations on state game lands

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Common courtesy/expectations on state game lands

Old 08-27-2018, 08:00 AM
Spike

Default Common courtesy/expectations on state game lands

Hi all - I haven't hunted in about 20 years since I used to go with my father on a friend's property or to the hunting camp he and some friends leased. I'm planning on taking it up again so I have some common courtesy/best practices type questions.

When one hunts on state game lands, are there common unwritten rules about who goes where, how to act, what to do, etc? I don't even really know what my question is, but I imagine people have a lot of time into setting up their spaces etc, so I'm just trying to figure out how to find a place without violating all the norms of the other hunters who may be in a similar location.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to game laws and any site specific rules, common sense courtesy is all that is required. You will run into all types including those who believe they deserve more than you. (e.g. a particular spot). Public ground is public. You own it as much as anyone else. On top of everything, don't leave trash and take more out than you brought in.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

like Roger stated above....try to leave it like you found it. Ive hunted public land most of my life and Ive never had any problems but a few things that pop to mind

1) dont leave any stand/game camera/blind etc on public land and expect it to be there when you get back so just know that going in

2) just treat other hunters like you would like to be treated.....If i pull up to a spot and there is another vehicle there already I usually just go somewhere else (unless its a common trailhead or the only way to access the property).

3) try to stay alert (i know this sounds like a no brainer, i mean youre hunting how are you not alert) but its amazing how people will walk up on you when youre hunting (ive done it myself a time or two with someone particularly well hid)...so if you know another hunter is close try to keep an eye out and back out of the area the minute you spot him and detour.

all the normal gun safety stuff goes along with this, be sure of your target, whats behind it, keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, be mindful during early and late light to be sure you are shooting at what you think you are...etc
Old 08-27-2018, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Don't miss.