Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Free Range vs. High Fence

Old 09-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

South Dakota imports birds from Wisconsin. If you didn't stock fish many lakes would have a limit of zero. I don't really care about fish to be honest. Talk to people who fish lakes in c anada that have little fishing, and it's incredible. Are they bad people?

if you hike miles and miles in a way from people, does that make you not hunter, since deer are not pressured?
Old 09-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
A good friend has a small reservoir he stocked with perch several years back. It is no more than 4 acres or so. To keep the perch population from exploding he also put in a few Northern Pike. The Northern population exploded so he asked me to come out and catch some of the pike as the perch were nearly wiped out. We went out and caught a ton of them...couldn't keep them off the line. I'm not sure how many we caught but they ranged in size from about 8 pounds to 20 pounds or so. Could we have caught this many huge fish in a large lake where anybody could fish? No, we couldn't. People fish small reservoirs stocked with fish all the time.. The fish have nowhere to go. Is this really any different than hunting a high fence area? To me, it's not. It's fun and the fish taste good, but I don't see it as being much of a challenge. I certainly wouldn't put one of those fish on the wall, but people do all the time. For whatever reason in most peoples' minds fishing a stocked reservoir is ok and they have no problem mounting the fish they catch and bragging about them, but shooting a deer in a high fence area is frowned on regardless of how large the fenced in area is. I'm not saying either is right or wrong....Just saying it's interesting how we look at something that is somewhat similar so differently. I don't know of anyone who would consider a high fence operation as hunting, but everyone considers fishing a stocked pond as fishing.
I actually do think of it quite the same when I hear somebody bragging about the big fish they caught in a stocked pond. I love to do it myself....Its a blast but its obviously not the same.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
South Dakota imports birds from Wisconsin. If you didn't stock fish many lakes would have a limit of zero. I don't really care about fish to be honest. Talk to people who fish lakes in c anada that have little fishing, and it's incredible. Are they bad people?

if you hike miles and miles in a way from people, does that make you not hunter, since deer are not pressured?
I don't think anybody said it makes you a bad person.

Ive done the bird thing and much like a stocked pond its a lot of fun but its clearly not real hunting.

I'm sure a high fence deer hunt is a lot of fun as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:11 AM
Spike

I hunted high fence in Texas and was successful. We drove right up to the animal we selected and shot it. There was no "hunting" at all. I actually did not feel good after this trip. Whether it is right or wrong, hunting or not, I choose not to do it as my preference. As far as letting birds go out of a cage, I always had a funny feeling about that. I would still do it but it would be about the same as sitting in a box blind next to a feeder for me, just not my preference. I'm not trying judge anyone else for their choices because if someone called me and offered a free hunt then I would do it.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I went hunting a couple weeks ago for Bos taurus. Picked it out and subdued the critter with my own hands. Never fired a shot, now THAT is prehistoric. Had that sucker on the grill for Sunday dinner last week end. Just plain primitive hunter gathering, putting food on the table for my family, none of that trophy/picture/gab fest bragging around the office blarney.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Chadillac
I hunted high fence in Texas and was successful. We drove right up to the animal we selected and shot it. it.
never went anywhere to hunt. But I think you are being bit of drama queen.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I don't think anybody said it makes you a bad person.

Ive done the bird thing and much like a stocked pond its a lot of fun but its clearly not real hunting.

I'm sure a high fence deer hunt is a lot of fun as well.
I am not talking bird clubs. I been told state does it for tourism. People 5hink they are hunting wild birds.

I have gone to club that releases on leased land. It was fun working dogs. Still had to make shot. But it was odd even though they had 100s of acres. I might have joined for fun of it , but once I bought my camp I just don't have time. Fun drinking beer at the bar too.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Berserker
never went anywhere to hunt. But I think you are being bit of drama queen.
Afraid I can't respond to a quote that makes no sense to me. Would you like to try again?
Old 09-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Chadillac
We drove right up to the animal we selected and shot it. o it.
Ok. If you want ,me to say it again. I think you are full of it.

if not what man shoots an animal in a pen.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

A farmer raising hogs? A rancher or slaughterer with cattle? I don't think they shoot chickens to slaughter them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.