Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Central Illinois Public Bowhunters >

Central Illinois Public Bowhunters

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Central Illinois Public Bowhunters

Old 06-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Spike

Default Central Illinois Public Bowhunters

Hi there,

Is anyone on here from anywhere around Lincoln, IL? I've read that Clinton Lake is good but seems like it has a lot of pressure. I'm looking for a place within a two or three hour drive that doesn't have much pressure. It doesn't have to be the greatest just don't want to be running into tons of fellow hunters all the time.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I'm not from Lincoln, but my work takes me through there several times a year. Also drive through every year for hunting trips. Been hunting the public statewide for 25+ years. Also scout new properties statewide every year searching, all the way down to Cairo! Also hunted Clinton Lake. Sorry to say but you arrived on the scene about 20 years too late to find unpressured quality hunting anywhere in Illinois. We had great quality on public 25 years ago. Since politicians took over our deer management, everything has gone south on our public land. About the same as Madigan has done with our tax & spend budget management & state employee bloated salaries & pensions. We went from a real nonresident quota, like Iowa, to a pretend "feel good" one that is in fact OTC. Now they implemented a 3 month crossgun season for everyone, including the entire rut. Sound like a plan? You think quality is going to improve any time soon? This is quite evident when you see point creep in Iowa go from 1 to 2 to 3 to now 4. If Illinois had any quality on public, you most certainly would not see that.

Wish I had better news, but this is the sad reality. I actually drew one of the best gun permits in Illinois last year in the lottery, but literally threw it in the garbage can, because I had an Iowa archery tag in my pocket. Today many nonresidents still flock to Illinois for deer hunting due to past reputation, but what little quality remains is exclusively on private land.

Here's who we have managing our deer herd these days. This lady is either retarded or skipped high school history class:
http://ilhousedems.com/2017/03/29/sc...-of-sportsmen/
She has zero education in wildlife biology. She is not qualified to work for the DNR. Yet she and many other politicians like her are the ones taking coin from special interest groups to exploit the Illinois deer herd for personal profit. Welcome to Illinois politics.

Last edited by Zim; 06-30-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Zim
I'm not from Lincoln, but my work takes me through there several times a year. Also drive through every year for hunting trips. Been hunting the public statewide for 25+ years. Also scout new properties statewide every year searching, all the way down to Cairo! Also hunted Clinton Lake. Sorry to say but you arrived on the scene about 20 years too late to find unpressured quality hunting anywhere in Illinois. We had great quality on public 25 years ago. Since politicians took over our deer management, everything has gone south on our public land. About the same as Madigan has done with our tax & spend budget management & state employee bloated salaries & pensions. We went from a real nonresident quota, like Iowa, to a pretend "feel good" one that is in fact OTC. Now they implemented a 3 month crossgun season for everyone, including the entire rut. Sound like a plan? You think quality is going to improve any time soon? This is quite evident when you see point creep in Iowa go from 1 to 2 to 3 to now 4. If Illinois had any quality on public, you most certainly would not see that.

Wish I had better news, but this is the sad reality. I actually drew one of the best gun permits in Illinois last year in the lottery, but literally threw it in the garbage can, because I had an Iowa archery tag in my pocket. Today many nonresidents still flock to Illinois for deer hunting due to past reputation, but what little quality remains is exclusively on private land.

Here's who we have managing our deer herd these days. This lady is either retarded or skipped high school history class:
http://ilhousedems.com/2017/03/29/sc...-of-sportsmen/
She has zero education in wildlife biology. She is not qualified to work for the DNR. Yet she and many other politicians like her are the ones taking coin from special interest groups to exploit the Illinois deer herd for personal profit. Welcome to Illinois politics.
this seems to be the general consensuses of IL now a days. huge bucks for years and years then the management went to crap. im lucky to hunt pike county Illinois as a non resident on private land. it seems a lot of outfitters have taken things into their own hands when it comes to conservation and putting in minimum sizes on bucks and limits on doe's. its slowly working and good genetics are coming back , however its really only helping the guides and their leases instead of the resident hunter. sad to say residents are screwed so to speak .
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ray Norbut State Fish and Wildlife Area

Your not going to find much public land where you never run into other hunters but Ray Norbut is good hunting. There are 2 different locations. One is about a mile from where I grew up(Rockport IL) and the other is in Valley City IL