Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Things are looking Tough in Montana >

Things are looking Tough in Montana

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Things are looking Tough in Montana

Old 02-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Things are looking Tough in Montana

For anyone looking at hunting in Eastern Montana, beware that we are having an extremely tough winter... Lots of snow and bitter cold with a lot of wind and it started in Mid -December and hasn't let up. We were -37 below here yesterday morning. Deer are living in the haystacks and shelterbelts where they can. We're going to have some winterkill. How much is hard to say. My concern is that in past years after a tough winter, EHD seems to be much more prevalent. I don't know if the deers' immune system is weakened after a hard winter or what, but more often than not we see a die off from EHD in late summer after a hard winter... I'm no biologist by any means...that's just what I've observed over the years....
Old 02-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe EHD is a result of a drought and the Midges infect the deer.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
That is correct
Old 02-12-2018, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I'm not so sure about that. We had a horrible drought this past summer...one of the worst on record and there was no EHD. We went weeks on end without a drop of rain. After the winter of 2012 (which was a bad one), we had a lot of flooding in the spring...lots of rain as well and EHD hit the deer hard. The F&G estimated we lost up to 75% of our whitetails that year, but I think that was a conservative estimate... I think we lost more. We have lots of drought years here... It's a very dry climate. Our annual precipitation is only around 13 inches, but EHD only seems to hit once every 8 to 10 years or so. It appears to be more related to the overall health of the deer herd. When populations get high, which often happens as access is very difficult on private land here, Mother Nature seems to take care of the overpopulation via EHD. But again..I'm no authority by any means...I'm just sharing what I've observed in the 40 years I've lived here.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

EHD comes from a biting gnat that dwells in stagnant water holes.

It does not spread from deer to deer.

What happens here is it gets try and drives deer to these stagnant water holes where these gnats live.

Could be that where you live lots of flooding and rain enables the gnat to proliferate where it normally wouldn't I guess but in most cases it is absolutely brought on by drought.

Last edited by rockport; 02-12-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'm planning an antelope hunt in eastern wyoming this fall. Wondering if we should hold off a year, or go this year. Heard the weather has been rough there as well.

-Jake
Old 02-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Tatonka, I think you folks over in the Havre area have been hit especially hard this winter, I recall the early storm you had in Sept. i believe, the one that knocked down quite a few power poles and line. Over here in Glasgow, winter has been about normal really, we have had a few snows, last weeks storm was probably the biggest producer of snow here, having about 6-8 inches on the ground. But thankfully we have had a couple breaks in the weather to. As for EHD, Us in NE corner of Montana had record snows in the winter of 2010-11, followed by flooding in the spring, and then more flooding in the summer, thus adding to the standing water areas, basically a perfect storm for killing off the deer heard. We lost a significant percentage of deer that winter, but the worse was worst was yet to come with EHD. EHD is a miserable death to deer, no doubt about it, I had a friend who would check the irrigation gates and would find beautiful bucks, dead on the ground from EHD. With that terrible winter, then the flooding and propagation of the midges that spread EHD, we lost over 90% of our whitetail herd. No doubt winter will take a few animals, such is the way of life, one can only hope that spring and summer is good to those animals remaining.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I've read a considerable amount about EHD and Blue tongue as it hits here so often. Most everything I've read relates the outbreaks to drought and high midge populations. I have a little trouble buying the drought theory as the entire Milk River Valley is irrigated and there is substantial irrigation on the nearby creeks. We have standing water starting when they fill the irrigation canals (usually in mid May) until they shut off the irrigation (usually in September). Drought around here really only affects areas that are not irrigated (dry land grain fields, prairie/grazing land, etc.). Drought doesn't explain our outbreaks when the valley has basically the same amount of water in the ditches, sloughs, fields, etc. each year. There has to another explanation other than drought. We have midges every year (believe me!!!!), but deer do not get EHD every year...

At any rate, I hope it doesn't hit again this year. Our whitetails have just now recovered from the last outbreak a few years back... In some areas they're still recovering...
Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A little off topic, but maybe it is time to rethink game management somewhat. Here we have a nine month season for Buck and yearling. And a five month season Doe and Fawn.

A survey is done and a shooting plan (quota) is set. Pretty much a tag system. Every animal shot gets paperwork. The fines for cheating are so high, few cheat.

Sick animals get harvested quick because the season is so long, which limits the spread of disease. The hunters here are generally pretty darned responsible. Responsibility is an intensive part of the training.

Air surveys and ground surveys keep track of the game populations. There are even forced harvests for too large game populations in specific areas, the property or lease holder is responsible for full filling the quota. If you fail to harvest a quota, you pay a professional hunter to fill the quota.

Fairly radically different than the existing system in the U.S. with short intensive hunting seasons.

Not something you could implement in a year, modifying the existing system is a long term policy change. But in the long term may help with the feast-famine cycles of overpopulation and plague.

The old Iron Curtain had a firearms exclusion zone of two miles. The game was unmolested and over populated to the extreme. Whole forests were destroyed from bark eating. Disease was rampant. The uniformed and idealists think that nature has a balance, it does, but it is cycles of feast, famine and disease. What a mess, hundreds of Roe and Red Deer carcasses littering the mostly dead forest forest floor. The whole place stank of death.

Blue Tongue and EHD is rare here. Standing water is the norm, not the exception, we have a generally wet climate. We do get some dry periods, rarely longer than two months. The vectors are usually worse when we have a mild winter, a deep hard freeze seems to kill off a lot of the breeders.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 02-13-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

EHD made it across the continental divide into western Montana (around Missoula) a couple of years ago. Prior to that, from what I've read they'd never seen it. Hundreds of deer died around the Missoula area. It's also started showing up in other states where it was previously not seen. Why? Who knows. It's shown up in Pennsylvania and Kentucky...two states that are really not prone to droughts of any duration. It's also shown up in many other eastern and midwestern states...

The other odd thing about EHD is that it can hit one section/area and wipe out out 80% to 90% of the deer, but 3 miles down the road it might not hit at all. I see this around here quite often. About 5 years ago it pretty much wiped out the whitetails on one section of a creek south of town. 5 or 6 miles further down the creek it didn't hit at all.. It's a strange disease and I really don't think the biologists have quite figured it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.