Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The best deer call

Old 10-31-2003, 09:11 AM

Default The best deer call

In all my years of hunting using grunt/bleat calls nothing works like the CAN. This thing draws them in hard. Anyone else used the can with success? (Of course of than the guy who killed that freak of nature on the side of the can)
Old 10-31-2003, 09:32 AM
Log

Default RE: The best deer call

Never heard of the " can" . i am a big fan of grunt calls. i have grunted in countless amouts of bucks w/ a grunt. i am always open to checking out new calls though! any info you can provide would be greatly appriecated! Thanks, Brandon
Old 10-31-2003, 10:50 AM

The Can is a round cylinder when turned upside down it makes the breeding call of a doe. Its loud and sounds like a mix between a moooooo and baaaaaaaaaa.

Primos and the like all make them. It flat out works.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine used one last year for the first time and he said that he' ll never leave home without one again. At one time a fawn came running full tilt up to him and stopped about 5 ft. away (Ground Blind) and bahhed at him, then took off again, a few minutes later, back he came again and did the same thing. Only problem he encounter was that it wasn' t pulling any bucks out of the woods, but a crapload of does responded thoughout the weekend.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 PM

I think it works best if you see the buck and he is walking away or just out of range. At least thats when Ive had the best results. I do accasionally " troll" for buck with it. Had a spike come in hard saturday. He walked through a family of does to get to my tree.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

The sound the " CAN" produces is a regular doe bleat, this is why you have fawns, does and bucks responding all to the same call. It is a form of vocalization they use, like a grunt. It also is the same sound that can be produced with adjustable calls such as: the true talker.

Not meant to be a put down to this call just so you know that a doe in heat call is just a bleat and you may already have this in your gear bag just never realized. For simplicity it works very good and hence its popularity.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:05 AM

I use the true talker too. Mainly for Buck grunts though. I dont like the sound of the bleats out of it. You are right the can is easy.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:52 PM

I never use an artificial call. I use my vocal chords. After some prcatice I can do what any of those devices do. From a large buck challenge grunt up to a fawn squeal.
It can' t be that tough (I don;t think).
I can' t even muster anything that sounds like a turkey and some guys can do them excellently!!!! To me thats hard!
I never heard a can, but I' m sure that its a handy little unit!!
Tube styles work, but can sound " echo-ish" .
To each their own!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Aways social call,suttle but works!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess that I' ll be the dissenting vote .
I bought a Primos " The Can" call the second year after they came out after trying it out at the store . It does have wonderful ease of use , and is very user friendly . However , it also has a tendency to roll around and make odd noises at inopportune moments , rattle against other hard objects in your pocket or pack , and stick during very cold weather . It doesn' t fit the hand well , is hard to hold without slipping while wearing gloves , and frankly never worked . I tried the call for two seasons and never called in a single deer . There is no shortage of deer where I hunt , it' s like bumper cars on the interstates here .
I finally gave the thing to my grandkids as another instrment of torture to use on their Father . [>:][&:]
I' ll stick with grunts .

Quick Reply: The best deer call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.