Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rut - Feast or Famine?

Old 10-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rut - Feast or Famine?

With the rut approaching and all the post about when is rut, will it be on, etc. Just thought I would pose a question for all to ponder and respond too. We all talk about Rut and it' s equalizing affects on our success at tagging bucks, but I have noticed the Rut is either Feast or Famine. While some years it is great to be hunting the Rut others it is actually worse. Also looking back at my hunts and bigger bucks only a small % have actually come in full blown rut, the majority are in late pre rut(chase phase) or post. Some of the data maybe misconstrude due to inclimate weather during the peak rut causing deer to be more active during the dark hours, I believe if the weather is off then deer movements are as well which would equal less productivity.

What is your take: feast or famine, always good or something else?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:20 AM

Default RE: Rut - Feast or Famine?

Good question, it does seem some years it is easy to get a buck during the rut and then other years it just plain sucks. I have had years were the buck are so stupid they almost walk right up to the barrel of the gun. Then on other years they seem to be very cautious, and pre or late rut is better. I have often sat in the woods and wondered what makes one year different from the other? Is it food, weather, plant growth, number of does, number of bucks, what type of nutrition they are getting, etc? I have yet to narrow it down, weather I would say is probably one of the bigger factors, but who knows?

Good question, maybe the only one that knows the answer are the deer[] and I don' t think they' ll share with us
Old 10-31-2003, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Model it looks like only you and me have found this, just thought it was appropriate seeing all are thinking RUT.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:49 PM

No doubt weather is the biggest issue, nothing like daily or even hourly changing conditions. It seems to shut deer movement right down. A nice warm day with light winds good movement, heavy snow seems to shut them down unless your in the cedars. My all-time favorite is a warm light rain. Ive seen more deer during a light rain than anytime.