Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ethical hunting

Old 12-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Spike

Default ethical hunting

sitting around camp talking and relaxing with a few cocktails the following discussion arose:
you wound a deer and dont find it until after legal shooting hours. the deer is not dead but laying there bleeding but it’s obvious it will be awhile before it dies. it’s illegal here in illinois to carry any other weapon other than whats legal to hunt with, a shotgun muzzleloader etc. its now after legal shooting hours, so what do you do? stand there til it dies, come back in morning and hope its still there, or shoot it? the most humane thing to do, put it out its misery.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been meaning to look into this. I had one last year that was still alive when I found it. Shot it about a half hour before last shooting time gave him about an hour then found him about 100 yard from the shot still alive and had to give him more time when I could have just finished the job. A gave him another hour and he was dead when I came back.

I suspect its not allowed because they fear people would take advantage of it and claim they were finishing animals off to get away with poaching.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have carried an ax in such situations.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd shoot it or cut the throat if I could get up to it. I wouldn't leave it to suffer and if I got a ticket for it I'd take my chances in court. Kind of a grey area but suffering is never a good thing.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

a few times over the years we have slit throats instead of suffer, be careful
Old 12-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cutting the throat is a good solution in some cases. Ive done it quite a few times.

My scenario last year where I was wishing I could just shoot him again was a liver shot. I could sneak into 20 feet or so but I didn't feel like I could get much closer without pushing him or I would have cut his throat.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all sort of know the RIGHT answer here and the legal answer here
best advice is do what you feel needed doing and keep your mouth shut! LOL
Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Using an ax or knife would be illegal too. Taking game by illegal means.

This has always been a tough spot to find oneself in. In my best opinion a call should be made to the area's CPO. I know he can dispatch the animal but don't know if he can or would grant a hunter permission to do it, with him on scene or not.

Last edited by uncle matt; 12-05-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I'd shoot it or cut the throat if I could get up to it. I wouldn't leave it to suffer and if I got a ticket for it I'd take my chances in court. Kind of a grey area but suffering is never a good thing.
I'm with Flags, sometimes common sense has to prevail.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is where it can pay off to be on good terms with the local wardens. it never hurts to have people knowing you're honest and want to do the right thing.

Maybe a phone call telling them what's up and what you should do?

I'd like to see Oldtimr's thoughts on this one. I believe he was a game warden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.