Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Youth deer rifle choice

Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

My Grand Daughter is in need of a deer rifle soon. Was thinking 243W.
But reading this thread, I had forgotten about the 250 Savage?!
I can reload for it
Anybody know of a factory youth model in 250 Sav ?

Last edited by RaySendero; 04-17-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RaySendero
Anybody know of a factory youth model in 250 Sav ?
I don't think anyone makes that. But if I'm not mistaken the Rem Custom Shop will take a Model 7 and make it in just about any short cartridge you want and they will do it in a youth model as well. But that would be pricey. I just checked the GunsAmerica site and they currently have 13 rifles in 250 Savage for sale. Most are Savage lever actions but there are a few Remngton/Ruger/Win etc... listed. Cheapest is a Rem Model 7 from the Custom shop for about $900.It would be easier and cheaper to get a 243, 260 Rem or a 7mm-08.

Last edited by flags; 04-17-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Flags
why brother trying to find one, when who know's, maybe she won't even like hunting( or want to stick with it)

when you can just get a more basic rifle ready to go for her in a caliber that can be readily and ammo in about any store.
I doubt she will care what caliber she gets, and heck, might even prefer a NEW gun that is JUST for HER, over maybe finding a used one , kids can be funny on things like this

and odds are there not caring if you can reload for them or not LOL
the shooting for them is the same on factory ammo or reloaded to them, they just hopefully want to shoot and enjoy the sport!
however if your dead set on having something
maybe look at a Thompson center Encore, and I have to think there are a ton of custom barrel makers out there that will chamber a barrel for you in the caliber !

then again, about any good gun smith can re barrel a action in caliber too!

just don't think the costs will be worth it i !!

Old 04-17-2020, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Her and I were looking at this one on line:
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...pact-synthetic
243W, 18" barrel and 12 3/8" LOP. MSRP = $731.
But now at Gunbroker runs $569 to $599 plus shipping and an FFL transfer.

Going with the Rem, If latter were to need bigger stock:
https://www.remington.com/shop/Seven...-Black/p/18597
Old 04-17-2020, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own several model seen rifles and several are custom build actions
if your looking for a full sized stock, I would maybe suggest contacting some of the custom rifle makers that use these actions, many times they have t take off stocks, they have no real use for
I know my last 3 builds I left the stocks at smith that did work for me, as I had zero use for them, and no desire to deal with selling them.

many custom light weight rifle builders/smiths have lots of stocks for same reasons, and will sell em pretty cheap if you ask them!
so food for thought if you ever need one!
Old 04-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Y'all are probably right.on the "worth it".
Also, She may never reload, so a more common cartridge would make more sense.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

You can't go wrong with a model 7 Ray. Or a .243. plus with the .243 someday when you're not around to load for her she'll still be able to get ammo easily and enjoy the rifle.

The .250 Savage is a sweet round, with allot of history. But at this point it's ideal for rifle guys who like to play around and load and are into that sorta thing. Not really a great choice for a young hunter or most females.

-Jake
Old 04-19-2020, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

This past season, watched a 9 yo absolutely hammer an 8 point with a 6.5 Grendel, it was an AR with a collapsable buttstock. no recoil, and it fit him, its now his deer gun.
RR
Old 04-20-2020, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
My son is enjoying sitting with me and I think next year he will be ready to try to shoot a deer himself. I am thinking about getting him a rifle for Christmas this year so we will have plenty of practice time for next season. He is 8 1/2 now so will be 9 1/2 next season. Normal size kid for his age. I have heard good things about some of the handgun loads for rifles that Indiana allows. We now allow high powered rifles as well but I don't think he is read to go that large yet. Of the rounds listed below which would you recommend for a youngster. I know I am asking to have my cake and eat it too but good knock down power with the least amount of felt recoil is my goal. He is not a frail weakling by any means but not one of those stout big kids either.

.357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.
A run of the mill AR carbine with a 16" barrel and collapsible stock is perfect for diminutive/new shooters. You can even get them with wood furniture and accents if you don't want that black gun stink eye when old timers are present.

They are available in many of the calibers you listed.

Cheap too.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I know this thread is an old one but time for an update. This past Christmas I ended up getting my son a CVA Hunter single shot in .44 mag. I topped it with a Vortex scope. With the quarantine he got to start shooting this week. Since it was really his first time shooting I started off with .44 specials just so he didn't get scared of it. I shot about 5 rounds to get the scope on paper and was immediately impressed with the rifle. I just had it set up at 50 yards but the first 5 shots I took were all touching. After I knew it was close I let him fire. Call it beginners luck but his first two round ever fired could be covered with a quarter. From 50 yards I thought he missed the 2nd time. He went through 50 rounds on multiple targets and was holding a 2 inch group or so, which for a 10 year old, first time shooting I was proud of him. Sometime this summer Ill bump him up to the mags from the specials and get him dialed in for season. I was hoping to get a couple wood elevated blinds built this spring but between the weather we have had and the travel restrictions I haven't been able to. Hopefully soon.
This is my hunting rifle in .243. You made a good choice. CVA Hunter youth .243.

Attached Thumbnails Youth deer rifle choice-.243-cva-hunter.jpg   Youth deer rifle choice-5856039_01_cva_hunter_243_640.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.