HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Youth deer rifle choice
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 02:29 PM
Valorius
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
My son is enjoying sitting with me and I think next year he will be ready to try to shoot a deer himself. I am thinking about getting him a rifle for Christmas this year so we will have plenty of practice time for next season. He is 8 1/2 now so will be 9 1/2 next season. Normal size kid for his age. I have heard good things about some of the handgun loads for rifles that Indiana allows. We now allow high powered rifles as well but I don't think he is read to go that large yet. Of the rounds listed below which would you recommend for a youngster. I know I am asking to have my cake and eat it too but good knock down power with the least amount of felt recoil is my goal. He is not a frail weakling by any means but not one of those stout big kids either.

.357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.
A run of the mill AR carbine with a 16" barrel and collapsible stock is perfect for diminutive/new shooters. You can even get them with wood furniture and accents if you don't want that black gun stink eye when old timers are present.

They are available in many of the calibers you listed.

Cheap too.