Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which ear protection?

Old 11-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which ear protection?

I did a search and saw a lot of people say "I always use hearing protection" many talking about the range, at work etc.. How many of you use some type of hearing protection while in the stand? Curious which you use. I am in Indiana so it can get pretty cold, especially late season. I can't see the ear muff type working and still being able to wear a stocking type hat that keeps the head warm. I always wear muffs at the range but never have while in the field. Usually it's only a shot or two per year but I have noticed some tinnitus the last couple years and assume it is from the shooting I do. Didn't know if the walkers hearing aid type is used or what you guys have experience with.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

I've been using the Walker's Game Ear units for the last year while shooting shotguns, rifles and a pistol during hunting seasons and for sighting in scopes. I normally still hunt and have been extremely impressed with them. You can hear the animals better and they have a high NRR rating (I believe it's 29). At this point, I refuse to hunt or sight in rifles without them because they are that good. I use the Walker orange foam inserts in the ear instead of the clear rubber ones and would recommend them as well. So far, I have had zero ringing in my ears after shooting with them and no increase in tinnitus. I wish I had bought these many years ago and highly recommend them.