Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mountings

Old 11-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default Mountings

Hey guys, anyone here ever do a "skullcap" mount? Don't want the whole head just a piece of the skull with antlers. Is this something i could do myself? Hate to pay a taxidermist to do something I can do myself!
Thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just go to your local sporting goods store, they sell kits, piece of cake.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Spike

You can do it yourself. Its fairly easy to do. I use a sawzall and cut mine. Go behind the rack and cut straight down about 3 inches. Then cut from front of rack at an angle to meet the bottom of your first cut forming a pie shape. Then grab the rack and bend back and forth until it breaks free. One tip is you will need to cut back the hair so your blade is right on the skull if you do not do this the blade will just vibrate back and forth on the skin. Good luck
Old 11-21-2017, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Just go to your local sporting goods store, they sell kits, piece of cake.
This is probably the easiest way. Or you could do what I used to do, cut the top of the head off and go put it on an anthill. Back in CO we had these big red soldier ants. They would clean the tissue off pretty quick and then you can soak the skull parts in diluted hydrogen peroxide to make it really white.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help! The processor is cutting the rack off for me so I only need to remove skin and boil it I guess then. Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
This is probably the easiest way. Or you could do what I used to do, cut the top of the head off and go put it on an anthill. Back in CO we had these big red soldier ants. They would clean the tissue off pretty quick and then you can soak the skull parts in diluted hydrogen peroxide to make it really white.
Yes, a kit would be the easiest. Or you could do it all yourself by building up over the skull with paper Mache, then covering that with leather, and mounting it on a wood plaque.

As to Flags's method of putting the skull on an anthill, when I lived on a ranger station in northern Montana, I thought I'd clean a black bear skull that way. I put the skull on top of an anthill, covered it with a 5 gallon bucket, and put a large rock on top of the bucket. A day or so later, the Ranger's husky dog pushed the bucket off and chewed up the skull.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Check out instructables and they have a way to do a mount using a modeling clay that works pretty good, Did it n a decent 4 point and it came out acceptable for a first effort.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll do a european mount, skull and antler/horns when I don't want a shoulder mount.

My taxidermist uses beatles.