Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First season

Old 11-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Spike

Default First season

Well we head out tomorrow for Illinois first gun season. My hunting partner and land owner has been bow hunting all week. He saw lots of deer movement until Sunday then he said it switched to mostly nocturnal. We hunt south central Illinois and hoping it doesn't stay nocturnal. I've come to realize there is no rhyme or reason to these animals, very frustrating trying to figure them out!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to deer hunting.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Spike

Not actually my first season chasing whitetails........here in Illinois gun season is broken up into two different weekends, Friday Saturday and Sunday the week before thanksgiving, and Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday the first weekend of December
Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brokefootkenny
Not actually my first season chasing whitetails........here in Illinois gun season is broken up into two different weekends, Friday Saturday and Sunday the week before thanksgiving, and Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday the first weekend of December
I got that. I was implying that it is the nature of whitetails to be frustrating to figure out. They are experts at being hunted. They do it 24 hours a day.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I got that. I was implying that it is the nature of whitetails to be frustrating to figure out. They are experts at being hunted. They do it 24 hours a day.
oh how right you are!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Spike

I hear you old Timer! I got my first buck, had about an hour of legal shooting time left and a nice 8 point wand reed into my view, about 175#'s dressed. Can't post pictures though😢
Old 11-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brokefootkenny
Well we head out tomorrow for Illinois first gun season. My hunting partner and land owner has been bow hunting all week. He saw lots of deer movement until Sunday then he said it switched to mostly nocturnal. We hunt south central Illinois and hoping it doesn't stay nocturnal. I've come to realize there is no rhyme or reason to these animals, very frustrating trying to figure them out!
switching over to nocturnal overnite may sound stupid, but I swear that seemed to happen in both places in GA that I huntyou are probably back by now...how'd it go??

Last edited by davidg; 11-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Spike

I harvested a nice 8 point my partner/landowner harvested a nice sized doe. We head back next week😊we both have a tag to fill, him an either sex me an antler less.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

go-o-o-d. .congrats .. maybe you can post some pics?

Last edited by davidg; 11-22-2017 at 01:37 PM.