Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is he a shooter?

Old 11-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Spike

Default Is he a shooter?

Trying to practice some Quality Management of a 160 acre property that shares a lot of fence line with an Izaak Walton League. I have several 3x3 and 4x4 bucks running around that will be fed well over the winter with some feeders. I feel like there is a good pipeline, but wanting to know if I should take this guy if I get the chance. Give him another year? One guy said he’s older and may digress, I think that’s only a 4.5-5.5 year old deer!!! He’s got to be crazy. Think he would make 130-140”? All pictures are the same buck.

Last edited by BPeterson77; 11-11-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BPeterson77
Trying to practice some Quality Management of a 160 acre property that shares a lot of fence line with an Izaak Walton League. I have several 3x3 and 4x4 bucks running around that will be fed well over the winter with some feeders. I feel like there is a good pipeline, but wanting to know if I should take this guy if I get the chance. Give him another year? One guy said he’s older and may digress, I think that’s only a 4.5-5.5 year old deer!!! He’s got to be crazy. Think he would make 140-150”? All pictures are the same buck.
Never mind, says I have to post 10 times before I can share pics?!?!?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't do what someone else wants you to do, take the deer you want to take apologetically. I never once valued a deer in inches of bone and never will.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your deer tag is your deer tag. Use it to take whatever deer you want as long as it is a legal animal. In my humble opinion far too many people are obsessed with amount of antler an animal has. I see no reason for that. I hunt for the sake of hunting and for meat. Size of antlers, or even the presence of antlers, means nothing to me.

As always, feel free to disagree.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Nothing quite like a nice set of antlers. Certainly nice to look at. I have found, however, no matter how long you par boil they never get tender.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Ill be the devils advocate here a little bit. If you are trying to manage your herd on a small property like that, you actually do want to take out certain bucks and age is a key factor. Antler size and shape is certainly more than just something pretty to look at. It's also a sign of quality of genetics and health and food supply. You see a 4.5-5.5 year old buck sporting a little skinny 8 point rack, you want him out of the herd. But if he's kicking up a 140-150 inches you might just want him to go another year. Especially if all you have running around is weaker looking bucks. This year, concentrate on culling Does and taking maybe a 3.5 year old buck that doesn't look like he will sport much of anything. Take out the weaker genetics. Get your herd to a manageable level that your property can easily hold. Now, all this is also being said while not knowing what state you are in. Some states just have smaller bucks with smaller antlers and a 140-150 inch whitetail is considered a monster buck. Around here, that would be considered on the smaller side of acceptable while in Virginia most would be dancing and celebrating in the streets after taking a monster such as that.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Managing and hunting mature bucks is A LOT of fun. Hunting mature bucks can be very challenging and almost like adding another species of animal you get to hunt. It doesn't sound like the other guy is trying to tell you what to do as much as help you achieve what you have chose to do.

I'm sure it won't take long to get your 10 posts in then maybe we can help answer your questions.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would never pass a 140-150 inch buck so I cannot be objective.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Don't do what someone else wants you to do, take the deer you want to take apologetically. I never once valued a deer in inches of bone and never will.
I agree with the oldtimer, take the deer you want to take BUT no apologies are necessay to anyone.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it seems to me that the OP is the one hesitant to take the deer not that the other guy is telling him not to.

Way to much being made of the "other guy" that seems have done nothing but suggest the deer is older. Its the OP that wants to manage his heard of deer.

Last edited by rockport; 11-09-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.