Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting the upper peninsula??

Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Spike

Default Hunting the upper peninsula??

Hi everyone, I'm planning on doing a diy whitetail hunt this year on public land. Will be my first out of state hunt. Looking at the Delta area but still looking into other public land. I'm not looking at finding your hot spot or anything but wanting just to talk to someone that has hunted it before. Wanting to know what kind of terrain there is? Hunting pressure? How many deer will you usually see on a opening day of gun season.. I'm planning on getting there November 12th bow hunting for a few days and hunting there first few days of the rifle season. Any information would be great!! Thanks everyone
Old 09-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Delta county is in the bannana belt, less snow. Usually more deer. Also closer to green bay and the bridge, so can be more people.

What you'll see is a wild guess. Farther back you go, less people. Bow hunting will give you a couple times, to hopefully figure out where people are hunting, and not ruin their hunting.

When I moved to menominee county, I went to small sporting good store, and bought a map from them and asked for some advice and wrote in it. I did with more time though. So-so results.

Figuring out what is state land and corporate is a step.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My Deer camp is in Delta county on Big Bay DeNoc. Delta County is big runs from the shores of Lake Michigan and up to Lake Superior. If there is a banna belt there it is the Garden where it can be as much as 10f warmer than in the middle of the county and 15f warmer than along the coast of Superior.

We counted on seeing the same 6 does every day most years during firearm season. A few bad winters has really hit the deer herd hard there and the total harvest is about half what it was in the early 1990's.
there is a lot of state and federal land to hunt in the county there are also corp lands owned by the paper companys.
Yoopers mostly hunt over bait piles we have found, In fact that is a good way to hunt them find a travel route to a bait pile and ambush them.

Al
Old 09-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Last 2 mild winters, has produced alot of fawns. Not sure about this year, but if this year isn't bad, next year or so, could be good. Before that some bad winters were tough.

But it really varies where you hunt. Snowbelt, along Lake Superior, can be tough.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. I'm really looking forward to the challenge. I'm also looking into hunting the Ottawa national Forest just because it would be a closer drive for me then Delta. I've heard there are decent places in iron county to
Old 09-12-2017, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

While a couple of mild winters will help the deer herd doesn't do a whole lot in a hurry. You also have to factor in th ewolves in the northern part of the county. In my area you never seen or heard a coyote till about 2004 now it is common to see them evey day as you still hunt thur the thick stuff and isn't uncommon to shoot 8 or 9 thru the 15 day season.

Contact the Whitetail unlimited group in the UP with all the bill boards, spikes let them go let them grow people for a accrite for cast on deer harvest projections for 2017.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 09-12-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Spike

As stories go, the Garden Peninsula is rife with deer. Not sure of the truth today. More flatland and farm crops there. I hunt in the middle of the UP 'eh? Paper companies rule over this way; except on my piece.