Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Archery Rental

Old 09-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Archery Rental

Hey, everyone! I have been hunting since I was pretty young. My grandpa was a massively successful bowhunter within the West Virginia Bowhunters Association (the first inductee into the bowhunters hall of fame). I am now studying business administration with a concentration in management/marketing and am trying to do some market research for a potential business idea. Most hunters, I believe, wish they could work in a hunting related field and still provide for their families. I just need some feedback on how interested you or anybody you know would be in an archery rental business. I know that there are similar stores that do this for target shooting, and part of my idea involves having an indoor and outdoor range for simply that reason, but I believe there may be a market for renting archery equipment to hunters for a weekly or daily fee. There will probably be some legal implications and probably some down payment/incidental insurance requirements associated. However, I believe this idea would appeal to those who wish to try hunting or go hunting with their friends but don't want to pay the huge prices that some brands of bows cost. The equipment, mostly, is reusable for many years, with proper maintenance and I have the skills and equipment already in place to make average arrows, which is a cheaper option than buying from Cabela's or similar big names. Additionally, do any of you think that onsite gun rentals and range paired with the above business would help or hurt the business' profits. Let me know guys. Thanks alot!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Seeing as archery is a talent that requires many hours of practice and preparation on the shooters part, I don't see that as being a good business model. Target archery rentals really aren't as popular as you seem to think they are either. One can't just pick up a bow and go hunting with it. At least not successfully anyway. It has to be fitted to that individual, and that individual must practice with it diligently to make a successful shot on an animal. Myself and all my siblings were literally raised with bows in our hands. And out of the 5 of us, 3, myself in that 3, are pretty good and 2 are master archers. I've had a bow in my hand since I was 3 so that makes 47 years of learning and I still just consider myself pretty good. And I would in no way consider going out and renting a bow for a couple days to hunt. It wouldn't be ethical in any way whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

A bow is, or at least should be, fitted to the person shooting it. It's also a game of repetition and muscle memory.I don't think renting them would be a good idea.

-Jake
Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think any time you combine guns with archery in a business model, you substantially increase your potential market share. Just speaking from the gun side of things, there are very limited times when I would even think about renting a gun for hunting (overseas maybe but not in the US). I imagine archery is probably similar in thoughts on rentals.

Have you considered establishing a business where you offer gunsmithing and archery repairs, etc.? It seems like you would draw more people to a business with a wider spectrum business model. If you were able to obtain enough space to offer indoor and outdoor archery practice and instruction as well as tournaments, you would probably draw even more people.

Or just ask all the guys who are into archery what market niche is still missing.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Seeing as archery is a talent that requires many hours of practice and preparation on the shooters part, I don't see that as being a good business model. Target archery rentals really aren't as popular as you seem to think they are either. One can't just pick up a bow and go hunting with it. At least not successfully anyway. It has to be fitted to that individual, and that individual must practice with it diligently to make a successful shot on an animal. Myself and all my siblings were literally raised with bows in our hands. And out of the 5 of us, 3, myself in that 3, are pretty good and 2 are master archers. I've had a bow in my hand since I was 3 so that makes 47 years of learning and I still just consider myself pretty good. And I would in no way consider going out and renting a bow for a couple days to hunt. It wouldn't be ethical in any way whatsoever.
My thoughts exactly.