Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nocturnal bucks

Old 08-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Spike

Default Nocturnal bucks

I have a lot of bucks coming in but mainly at night anything I can do to change that???
Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Probably not, how hot has it been, what stages has the moon been?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. Be patient and wait until the rut compels them to travel more.
or
2. get closer to their bed. Its likely they do move a little during shooting hours

Assuming your getting this information from cameras put them on video and get a better idea of their coming/going and get closer but that is not usually an easy or quick process and you risk spooking them doing it this way but I'd almost guarantee you they are not 100% nocturnal.

I have a camera near a big bucks bed right now and get frequent daylight pictures of him(every check) somebody somewhere on the surrounding properties probably has pictures of him and thinks he only moves in the middle of the night. I also have bucks I only get night pictures of.

If you want to be cautious you will have to guess where they are in the daylight based on videos you get at night and if you know the terrain, deer behavior, primary food sources according to the weather and time of year, and what makes for good bedding.

Start moving your cameras in towards where they are going/coming from until you start getting videos just after/before dark then when the conditions are ideal go in a little further and hunt. Go slow and make sure you don't get in too close before the conditions are right.

Short answer: find their beds

If you get only night pictures your probably to far away which is not always bad if you know enough too guess where to hunt based on that information.

I have several mature bucks I could shoot with in a week if it were deer season right now based on night videos because I know where they are going/coming from but those patterns will change before season opens.

Last edited by rockport; 08-27-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Wait till it cools off.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

One factor IMO is the quality of the forage. The poorer the forage the longer they eat and the more likely they are to daylight feed. They also tend to feed longer as the weather turns cooler and the days get shorter, natures way of telling them to fatten up for winter. Not the only factor, but *a* factor. After the harvest here and most of the prime eats are gone, they tend to feed earlier in the evening and latter in the morning.

The Rut usually changes all this. You see Deer on bald hills in the middle of the day and other oddities.

Finding where they bed is good advice. But getting too close to a bedding area is likely to upset them for a few days at least and/or push them to an alternate area. I try to pre-season scout to find the beds and keep a hundred yard buffer during hunting season.

A lot of their wandering is due to diet, if they don't get the trace elements they need their noses lead them to plants with those trace elements. And they can travel a long ways if the deficiencies are strong enough.

One example near here is profound, a (mostly) Pine forest with sparse forage, Deer favor it in the summer, feed the areas where the daylight lets anything grow. Mostly poor sandy soil, nitrogen poor. A couple of times a year they migrate a dozen miles to a lower area with clay soil, different forage, stay awhile and then migrate back to their normal haunts again. There is actually a thousand year old path worn/compacted a foot lower than the forest floor leading to the mineral rich area.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert, but never forget patience. You're dealing with beds and you don't want to bump them out. You know where the deer are and where they are traveling, and that means an opportunity at some point.

If anything, I think you'd want to change what you do, rather than try to change the deer.

Maybe more knowledgeable people will weigh in on this, but here's things that came to my mind:

Water. If there's a water source nearby, anticipate a deer moving to it, especially since we're still in summer. My understanding is that this is one thing that can get a deer moving in the daylight, especially in the early season when it's still warm.

Also, keep an eye on food sources, we're getting close to harvest time, acorn drop, etc. That can change their movements and timing.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

my question is, are you talking about them hitting your food plots at night, or treestand locations
if your talking about food plots
I know what has helped me a LOT, and that was allowing lots of cover to be had in places they bed to where they enter food plots, and then I found having taller sections of food plots , helped shield them, and that seemed to add more comfort to deer in the day time, as they had faster ways to get into cover or hidden

and example, is when I do clover plots, I mix in randomly some corn seeds and broadcast them about the outer edges and even into the middle
same with soy beans, I been doing say 2 acre bean plots and will make a 20 yard wide ring of corn around them
NO one can see into them, but I can set up ground blinds inside them and MAN that has really help me to get deer in there in day time
keep a thick section of cover from plots to woods , and they will come eat way sooner than before
can do treestands at woods edges
or do a 5 yard ring between woods and main plots where they enter from the woods and make it thicker on rest of the sides

this works really well if you have any road traffic too, the corn shields things from peeping eye's or poachers, and then deer again feel safer, NOT sticking out like a sore thumb in a middle of a open food plot!

I again had added some random ears of corn to clover, brassicia, soy beans, you name it, it helps a lot for day time deer movement, they never really make any corn, but the cover seems to help a lot

won't help you this yr, but in the future maybe>?
hers a few pic's you woudn;t really know it but behind the corn is an island of beans, and then deer love being in there in day time, and at any point in time they have a fast exit into cover!
Attached Thumbnails Nocturnal bucks-4-006.jpg   Nocturnal bucks-4-014.jpg   Nocturnal bucks-4-052.jpg   Nocturnal bucks-4-055.jpg  
Old 09-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Spike

hunt long and stay in there all you can do rut he can move all day