Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice

Old 10-30-2003, 04:20 AM

Default Need advice

I have a question about clothes and taking the scent out of them. I know you are suppose to wash then in a scent free detergent. Is there a special kind?? If so what is the name. Also after I wash them then how do I keep them from picking up a scent until deer morning?? I have heard that you should put them in a plastic bag but would the plastic bag have a scent to it? Need any help that I can get. Thanks in advance. Paul
Old 10-30-2003, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Need advice

Go to Wally World or any Hunting store in your area. In the hunting/ sporting goods area they will have scent free laundry detergent. I have to believe they are all somewhat equally effective.

I hang my clothes outside after washing. I also open up the bag (s) I' m going to be putting them in and hang them on the line to air out too.

If I' m pressed for time, I will dry them in the dryer. Don' t add any of your wifes fabric softer to the wash or the sheets to the dryer.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:32 AM

There is a cheap way of doing things, turn your clothes inside out and wash them with baking soda, then hang them outside for a couple of weeks. Then get yourself one of these cheap plastic totes, throw some pine branches or whatever is natural in your hunting area into the tote store your clothes in the tote. This has worked very well for myself and many others that I know. The biggest plus is that we don' t go broke on soaps and other gimmic crap that is out there.

One other thing you can do if your in a pinch, when you get close to where your going to hunt pick up leaves and stuff and smear them on your clothes, it' s not perfect but it will help.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:31 AM

HaGar..yes we have plenty of WalMarts around here. I think at least a hundred! I will stop and see what I can find. I was just there last night buying my vest and hat. They are very cheap there if anyone is interested.

Model...that' s a good idea. I have some old plastic totes that the smell should be out of by now. I will pack everything in one with some leaves and sticks for about a week. That should do it! Thanks. Paul
Old 10-30-2003, 09:44 AM

Just some advice from me. At Wally World in the section where they have mothballs and plastic containers and laudry hampers there is a box should be hanging that contains two ziploc type bags with a one way valve on it. Put your cloths in these bags after you wash them and dry them and vaccum the air out of them. Then put them in your plastic container.

Also a question for you guy' s where to I get the big Zip-Loc bags at? Have you all seen the commercial where they put chains and boots etc in the Zip Locs? I want to buy those big 5 gallon zip-loc bags to put my meat in after I quarter the deer.

This is also a good tip from cause it keeps the meat freash and out of the water sitiing in the ice chest.

Jason
Old 10-30-2003, 10:19 AM

Bobo...I thought about using the " Space Bags" as they are called. I have some at home that you use a vac to suck out the air. The only thing is if I put them in the plastic tubes with leaves and sticks then the smell of the leaves and sticks will not get to the clothes due to the bag being airtight. I think I will just put them in the tube and carry it around in my blazer until it' s time to hunt. That way they will be shaken around. The airtight bag would work it I wasn' t planning on doing the leave thing. That sound like such a good idea.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:03 PM

Hey log, I tried those space age bags and it didn' t very well; I put my pack in and hoked up the shopvac to get the air out, the buckle ripped a hole in the bag and in the garbage it went?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:17 PM

i use a scent free laundry soap and i also hang them outside to dry and then i just use a garbage bag and put leaves in it. if i cant hang them outside do to the weather i will put them in the dryer but run a full cycle without the cloths first to get as much smell out of it (the dryer) as possable and then i use earthscent dryer sheets.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:30 AM

Standing in the smoke from a wood fire is supposed to help too (assuming that you have a nice, smoky fire handy ) ...
Old 10-31-2003, 06:34 AM

One thing that I thought would really do the trick is to put leaves, pinecones, sticks and what ever else I could find into the dryer with the clothes. That would bake the smell right into them...but of course this would make a mess out of the dryer!! I don' t think my girlfreind would be that understanding!

Quick Reply: Need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.