HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Whitetail Deer Hunting Tips? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/415205-whitetail-deer-hunting-tips.html)

Wilson Keisha 07-12-2022 11:19 PM

New here, I'm Wilson,I love winter outdoors sports but I always get cold regardless of the weather and it was important for me to get nice heated gear in winter.I purchased the Dr.warm Heated gloves, I wear it when I ski or motorcycle, I love them,if you are intersted please google and don't message me. I hope this is helpful to you.

TalonGear 08-23-2023 03:54 AM

Bow hunting Tips for Whitetail from Treestands

Here are some tips to consider when bow hunting for Whitetail from tree stands:
  1. Scouting: Scout the area to find where deer are active. Look for signs such as tracks, droppings, and rubs on trees. Identify food sources, bedding areas, and travel paths. Set up your stand in an area where you have a good view of deer activity.
  2. Stand Placement: The height of your tree stand can vary depending on the situation and the surrounding foliage. A general rule of thumb is to place your stand between 15 and 25 feet high. Any lower than 15 feet and you begin to lose the advantages of hunting from a tree stand like staying above a deer’s line of sight. Any higher than 25 feet and you start to have major problems with your shot angle.
  3. Scent Control: Wind direction is an important factor to consider when placing your stand. Try to set up your stand downwind of where you expect deer to be. Use scent control products and wear scent-free clothing to minimize your scent.
  4. After the Shot: The amount of time you should wait before tracking a shot deer depends on where the deer was hit. A general rule of thumb for bowhunters is to wait at least 30 minutes before picking up the blood trail. However, if you saw the deer go down and it’s still in sight, you can recover it right away.
I hope these tips are helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions or if there’s anything else I can help with.

bennyboy 08-25-2023 12:42 PM

From my experience,
1. Put up a ladder stand
2. (If legal in your area), put bait or a deer feeder near your stand (within bow range)
3. Use calls, I like to use the little Primos Doe Bleat Can.

Hope this helps! :)

Oldtimr 08-25-2023 03:02 PM

Before you hunt you need to know what deer do, where they live and where they travel.All the other answers in this thread talk about what to do after you learn how to,read deer and deer sign. Spend time in the woods outside of deer sign, learn to read deer trails, look for places where trails converge and look for pinch points where several trails come together and look for good placs to put a stand to take advantage of that spot. There are no instantthings to do, to make you successful. Youn earn success by spending time in the areas youn plan to hunt and learning those areas. There arer no shortcuts, burn boot leather, look, observe and learn. In addition, there are no best ways to hunt, it all, depends on where you are hunting. The bottom line is, if you want to be successful, you earn it!

Oldtimr 08-30-2023 08:47 AM

How many whitetail deer are there in India??????

Phil from Maine 08-30-2023 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4412077)
How many whitetail deer are there in India??????

Now that’s an awesome question!!

ThadMcadams 12-06-2023 06:48 PM

Có bao nhiêu con hươu đuôi trắng ở Ấn Độ ??????

genesiswhitetails 04-24-2024 05:35 AM

Certainly! Here are some valuable bowhunting tips to consider when hunting whitetail deer from treestands:

Choose the Right Location: Select a treestand location that offers good visibility of deer trails, feeding areas, or funnels where deer are likely to pass through. Look for signs such as rubs, scrapes, and droppings to confirm deer activity.
Practice Stealth: When accessing your treestand, move quietly and minimize noise to avoid alerting nearby deer. Use scent-free products to reduce human odor, and wear camouflage clothing that blends with the surroundings.
Set Up at the Right Height: Position your treestand at a height that offers a clear shooting lane and maximizes concealment. Generally, a height of 15 to 20 feet above the ground provides a good balance between visibility and scent containment.
Conceal Your Presence: Use natural cover such as branches and foliage to break up your silhouette and conceal your presence in the treestand. Avoid making sudden movements that could startle approaching deer.
Practice Shot Placement: Familiarize yourself with the anatomy of whitetail deer and practice shot placement for ethical kills. Aim for vital organs such as the heart or lungs to ensure a clean and humane harvest.
Use Decoys and Calls: Consider using deer decoys or calls to attract deer within bow range. However, use them sparingly and realistically to avoid spooking deer with unnatural behavior.
Be Patient and Still: Bowhunting from a treestand requires patience and stillness. Remain motionless for extended periods, especially during prime hunting hours such as dawn and dusk, when deer are most active.

1. There are several effective tactics for attracting whitetail deer to your hunting area:

Food Plots: Planting food plots with nutritious crops such as clover, soybeans, or brassicas can attract deer to your hunting area. Choose food plot locations strategically, considering deer movement patterns and natural cover.
Mineral Sites: Establish mineral sites containing salt and other mineral supplements that provide essential nutrients for deer growth and health. Place these sites in areas frequented by deer, such as along trails or near bedding areas.
Mock Scrapes: Create mock scrapes by raking the ground and adding deer scent or urine to mimic natural deer behavior. Place these scrapes along travel corridors or near your hunting stand to attract curious deer.
Scent Attractants: Use deer scent attractants such as estrous or buck urine to lure deer to your hunting area. Apply these scents strategically on scent wicks or scent drags leading to your stand location.
Feeders: Utilize gravity or automatic feeders to dispense corn, pellets, or other deer feed near your hunting stand. Adjust feeding times to coincide with deer activity patterns, such as early mornings or late afternoons.
Water Sources: Locate hunting stands near natural or artificial water sources such as ponds, streams, or water troughs. Deer require water for hydration, especially during hot and dry periods, making these areas attractive hunting spots.
Rubs and Scrapes: Identify natural deer sign such as rubs and scrapes, which indicate deer activity in the area. Hunting near these signposts can increase your chances of encountering deer.
Cover Scent: Use cover scents such as pine or cedar to mask human odor and attract deer to your hunting area. Apply cover scent to your clothing and hunting gear to minimize your scent signature.
Decoys and Calls: Deploy deer decoys or use grunt calls and rattling antlers to simulate deer communication and behavior. These tactics can pique the curiosity of nearby deer and draw them closer to your hunting stand.
Hunting Pressure Management: Limit hunting pressure in your area by rotating hunting stands and minimizing disturbances during peak hunting times. Reduced pressure encourages deer to feel more comfortable and frequent your hunting area.

2. The height at which you place your treestand can significantly impact your ability to minimize wind detection and scent dispersal. Generally, aiming for a height of around 15 to 20 feet above the ground is recommended for bowhunting from a treestand. Here's why:

Wind Direction: At this height, your scent is more likely to be carried above the deer's normal line of travel, reducing the chance that they will detect it. However, it's essential to consider wind direction and choose a stand location where prevailing winds will carry your scent away from where you expect deer to approach.
Scent Dispersal: Being elevated allows your scent to disperse more effectively in the air, minimizing the concentration of human odor around your hunting area. This can help prevent deer from pinpointing your location and becoming wary.
Visibility: Being positioned 15 to 20 feet above the ground provides a good vantage point for observing deer activity and shooting lanes while still maintaining cover and concealment within the tree canopy.
Safety: While being higher in the tree provides advantages for scent control and visibility, it's important to prioritize safety. Heights of 15 to 20 feet are generally considered safe for treestand hunting, but always use a safety harness and follow manufacturer recommendations for setup and usage.