Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun Deer

Old 10-27-2003, 06:03 AM

Default Shotgun Deer

Good morning:
This year I am hunting in an area that only allows shotgun for deer.
I am unsure if I should be using slugs, or Buckshot.
Opinions appreciated!
Thank you!
Grant
Old 10-27-2003, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Deer

What gun will you be shooting?

I prefer slugs myself. I was never a buckshot fan.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:42 AM

Thank you for the reply.
I will be using my Wingmaster 870 2 3/4"
Grant
Old 10-27-2003, 07:25 AM

Not sure how effective buck shot is, as it is illegal to use it in Wisconsin. It would seam to me that slugs would be more acurrate and have a greater effective range than buck shot.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Having killed 80% of my deer with shotgun I can say both are effictive killers if you know ther limits. I usually perfer to use slugs if I am in open woods and have decent range shots. I have killed several deer at 120 yards with a slug, but only take these shots if thery are 100% right. I try to keep my shots around 85 yards or less.

As far as buckshot goes, I mainly use that when we make man drives and I know my shots will be really close on fast moving animals. I have killed alot of deer with buckshot. I do use it when stand hunting as well. I limit my shots with buckshot to under 50 yards with my 10 gauge and under 40 with my 12.

Depending on what type of barrel and choke you have you can shot either. If I were you I would shot both to see how they shot from your gun. I will also say that I have learned that unless you have a rifled barrel or choke that the high dollar slugs are a waste of money, In a smooth bore barrel I found the basic slugs work best. I used a 2 3/4 1100 with a smooth barrel and a scope on it for years and took many deer with it. In fact all but one of the deer over 100 yards I have taken were with this gun. The Rem. sluggers are excellent shells along with the Winchester slugs. You should be able to pick these up at Walmart for around $2.50 a box.

The best thing would be to get out and try some and see what works best for you. Just dont try to puch your range with it. I shoot mine atleast once a month year round and have done so since I started hunting back when I was 7 ( and that was almost 23 years ago now lol) so I know my and my guns limits. I am sure you will find that hunting with a shotgun is a great way to harvest a deer. Almost as good as a bow...
Old 10-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I don' t know about where you are, but buckshot is illegal here in Jonesboro AR. We can only use shotguns with slugs. Check up on your local laws.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:43 AM

OO Buck will knock them down in their tracks. Get them within 50 yards. Know how you gun shoots before using it to hunt. I can kill them out to 70 with 3" mags.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends if you hunt where you can only see 40-50 yds use buckshot. If you opt for slugs you should have a front and rear sight on you gun not just a bead. Or better yet a scope of low magnification. Also a rifled choke tube or fully rifled barrel will also improve accuracy.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:41 PM

I don' t know about where you are, but buckshot is illegal here in AR. Check up on your local laws.
Actually you need to follow up on your local laws!!!

Arkansas you can use buckshot,but in a couple zones you can not use buckshot.

If you are going to check something out in your state,that law may or may not be for the whole state,some hunting zones are diffrent...

If you need info for Arkansas, give me the zone your are in and I can let you know..

Troy
Old 10-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

I will be using my Wingmaster 870 2 3/4"
Grant
12, 16, or 20ga? I have a 16 gauge Wingmaster 870...and if thats it, i dont believe there is too much buckshot around...

Quick Reply: Shotgun Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.