Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Prefab blind:  Redneck vs Banks Outdoors? >

Prefab blind: Redneck vs Banks Outdoors?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Prefab blind: Redneck vs Banks Outdoors?

Old 02-03-2017, 04:35 AM
Spike

Default Prefab blind: Redneck vs Banks Outdoors?

I built my own blind a few years ago and enjoyed the process, but it took a long time and cost ~$1500 to build. So, I am considering other options now that my kids are getting older and I want to have a few options of where to hunt. The Redneck and Banks Outdoors blinds are very interesting, though double the price of what I built. My goal is to have a cozy, northern Wisconsin stand that I can hunt in with one of my children. I gun, bow, and crossbow hunt, so am looking for something that would suit each style. Admittedly, stalk and hunt and climber stands are more pure, but a different discussion. Are there strong feelings about Redneck or Banks providing superior products than the other or are they fairly similar? Alternatively, is there a different product that is prefab and suitable for two? I have no idea where I can see a Redneck product in my region, while Banks is from neighboring Minnesota and are distributed at the local Fleet Farm.

I did try to search for "Redneck Blinds" and "Banks Outdoors" and didn't see similar posts to this question. Hopefully it's not a rehash, though I'd be surprised if it hasn't actually been covered.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never heard of either one!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Build it out of straw bales laid up like bricks. Lay a sheet of plywood over the top and cover that with straw bales. Make shooting windows out of lumber the same dimension as a straw bale and get some plexiglass. Guaranteed to be warm and sure won't cost anywhere near $1500.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Home built blind and elevated stand less than $200.00 to build.
It is 8 feet up, 5x5 house with 3 foot porch, Stain is Behr fence and deck stain OOP's from Home Depot $5.00 a gallon or $15.00 for 5 gallons, corrugated roofing bent and twisted a deal of $10.00 for a 12 foot section. I used 7/16 OSB bought in the winter when it was cheaper. I also bought the 2x4's and ripped them in half on my table saw in the winter when they were cheaper, same with the rest of the lumber. Spring is the worse time to buy lumber.

Windows are all recycled from windows I pick up beside the road waiting for the trash truck, I make my own frames for them. a glass cutter doesn't cost to much either at $3.00.

I did pay full price for the hinges, screws and lag bolts. But by the pound at TSC is cheaper than a hardware store or home improvement store.

Window details.

I also have a couple I have less than 100.00 into including the elevated stand., I cut my own cedar trees to make the legs.
rest was recycled lumber from a building that was being torn down.

Another was made from scrap corrugated steel form a pole barn builder.

I could build one totally in a week by my self.
they are all modular too.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-04-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great ideas for stands guys!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

That's the stand I need to build on the farm in Texas ! Great job
Old 02-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too think building your own is a better option if you have the time and means
you can build two or more to the price of buying a Brand Name pre build blind

I Might have has about 600 into my last one, but it was built like a tank and to last 50+ yrs I think, and was BIG and roomy
6x6x6.5 high inside, wasn't hard to build, just took some time and built it on runners so I could drag out about and change location if needed, ONLY lifted it up about 3 ft off the ground , and was all I seemed to need where I had it

the prices of pre build seem CRAZY to me when you think about it??
but, time is money, so, if you don't have the time??
Old 02-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

The pictures almost don't do it justice. Can you provide more details on the support and structure?
Old 02-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

C H are you talking about my blind?

I started by getting some basic measurements.

How tall does it have to be inside to load a muzzle loader, might need a second shot, never have but there is always that first time.

How high is my rifle barrel when I am sitting down. I did 36 inches but have been thinking 40 inches would lift the window sill up to provide a easier rest.

Once all that was taken care of and a ruff design was done I started cutting and assembling a frame. the frames is split standard 2x4's cut to size and screwed together with 3 inch wood screws, I pre drill so I don't get any splitting.

On this one once the frame was screwed together I stapled on some fast food corrugated plastic road signs to provide a little insulation because the outer siding is corrugated steel.

This one has a bigger front window, it is the glass out of a old micro wave oven. I kind of like that larger window too.

I hunt alone and do not have even grand kids to take out with me as they live many hours away. So I have found the ideal floor size is 5'x5'.

I have just over $60.00 in this one and it includes the flat black paint to cover the breakfast and coffee stuff so I don't get hunger.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 02-05-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Those are some nice blinds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.