Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first Whitetail

Old 11-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first Whitetail

I was lucky to have a friend give me a hand. He lives in Northern Idaho and I live 600 miles south in Southern Idaho.
I traveled there last Friday and on my first day I found this guy. I was happy with him. I built the knives.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Spike

Awesome! I'm still 0 for 2 in my whitetail harvests. Next year I'm gonna get one.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Nice buck. Details?

Al
Old 11-27-2016, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very respectable buck. There is some really good hunting for whitetails in the west. Never hunted them in ID but I have taken some good bucks in both CO and WY and I've seen some absolute monsters in MT.

Last edited by flags; 11-27-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Nice buck. Details?

Al
I got mine with a cartridge rifle but the root of the story is about my muzzleloader.
This is an interesting hunt and not because I got a deer but how it happened.
I met a man from Northern Idaho on my YouTube page. He turned out to be a great guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/idahoron?feature=mhee

I helped him to set up a Hot Rod muzzleloader like mine. After some talking he offered to take me on a hunt. I don't normally hunt with anyone but when I do it is with my son. Well After some thinking on my part I said why not!!
I left last Friday afternoon and got up there on Saturday. We went out looking at some deer that evening. Deer were everywhere. The next morning we head out and again we see deer quickly. The first spot had some does but I didn't see a buck. We headed to another spot and I saw a buck down in the trees.
I have only been on one Whitetail hunt in my life prior to this one. I didn't even see a legal deer to shoot on that hunt. I wanted a buck but I was willing to take a doe if I had to because I wanted to try the meat.
I took my muzzleloader but on the last minute I decided to take my 243 in case the weather was bad. Well the weather was bad and I was worried about the rifle going off and I was worried about the stock taking on a lot of water and ruining the stock. So I decided to shoot the 243. I haven't hunted with that rifle in 9 years. I have been mostly a muzzleloader hunter for many, many years.
So I see the buck down about 50 yards in the trees. The buck was quartering to me and I pulled up, and shot him in the point of the shoulder. At the hit he spun and tore off through the trees. We gathered up our things and followed him up. About 50 yards into the tracking job we find him piled up. That buck took a pounding from that 243. If Whitetails were as big as elk I don't know if I have a rifle big enough to knock one off it's feet.
This buck was no trophy, but he is my first whitetail and I am proud of him. I got lucky and shot him on the first day, so I hung around a few more days to try to help my friend Lewis to find a trophy buck.
He also wanted to shoot the rifle that started the muzzleloader craze for him, my Hot Rod Hawken. He shot it well and I am sure he enjoyed shooting that gun as much as I did getting my deer.
I owe him so much. He let me camp in his yard, he opened his home to me and allowed me to partake in a hunt with him that I could have never done on my own.
Thank you Lewis for a memory of a lifetime. I said it before and I will say it again. You are my brother from another mother.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations on your buck , he is a trophy ,take it from an old hunter with many nice bucks, even 1 in the state books, unless your paying out the butt and even then there's no guarantee.you are blessed enjoy it for what it is -he is a trophy buck, try not shoot in one unless it's bigger and you'll appreciate his size and go hungry for a bit. Enjoy it my friend ,it's a blessing
Old 11-28-2016, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have seen your Muzzle loaders on another forum starts with A. Good story and you have a really good friend.

In my part of Michigan that would be a very good buck and have a crowd around him at a buck pole.
I have hunted deer for many years with a 243 which I hand load for. Never had a deer go more than 5 feet after the shot.

Al