Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking at buying land

Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default Looking at buying land

So for most of my life I was a on a dairy farm. For financial reasons we sold the farm about 9 years ago. We purchased a nice house on 1 acre of land and it has some woods on it. I hunted most of my life and the acre just is not cutting it. We are now looking to purchase hunting land but its expensive. We are now looking at 10 to 15 acres. Is this enough to archery and rifle hunt with my daughter? Im used to 200 acres so im on the fence about it.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Worked properly 10 or 20 acres is plenty. I grew up on a farm also, dad had a 40 acre wood lot on the place he worked out a grid so My brother sister him self 2 of his friends and my self had a chunk to hunt in. We all did well when we stayed where our grid was.

I now also have a 10 acre plot I hunt alone, lucky it is a strip of woods with a horse pasture on one side and a leased out farm field on the other side and behind me.

Al
Old 11-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more the better. Get as much as you can afford.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

It can be enough, but it REALLY depends on the surrounding property. Crappy neighbors can ruin it bad.
I bought 13 acres about 15 years ago, not for hunting, but to build on later.
It is mostly wooded. I gave hunting on it a shot and wow, saw more deer there than anywhere I've ever hunted. The first few years evening hunts were a no go because the neighbors loved to ride dirt bikes.
That has since stopped. The hunting is great, I just try and make very sensible shots because a wounded deer can be across the property line in a hurry, and the neighbors are a little strange.
Even through a couple seasons that there were several hunters close by, I still saw plenty of deer.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Buy as much as you can fit into the budget. When looking at properties try to meet the people around it if you can. Could save yourself a big headache by having a five minute conversations with the neighbors.
-Jake
Old 11-24-2016, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Put the sheriff on speed dial and trespassing will not be a problem.
I was here first but those north of me from a city thought my woods belonged to everyone. told them once didn't get thru the thick head, told them a second time still didn't get thru., 3d time and a hefty fine by the court for trespassing and they finally got the message.

In Michigan you need the land owners permission to recover game on others property. I have one neighbor comes before every deer season and asks for permission before hand. The rest who come to the house the night they shot and animal came on my place to ask I tell them NO should have asked before the season. I have never found a dead critter on my place and if I did I would load in in the front loader and deliver to their door.

Who ever told city slickers to use toilet paper to mark the last blood should be hung from a big Oak branch.

Al
Old 11-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'd not only let people recover game, I'd help them trail it as well. Sometimes deer can run a long way. I understand if you're a neighbor and you wait to ask. But that deer could have come from a mile away. You don't ask everyone in a mile radius to recover game.

As for the toilet paper, I don't use it, but I understand the reasoning. When it rains it'll disappear... Unlike orange tape or other more permanent things....

Just my opinions though....
-Jake
Old 11-25-2016, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Ya I know stuff happens and deer can go a really long way when wounded. So I ask permission every year ahead of the season a mile away. That house is only a half mile behind my place where the land butts up. Also since I am going down the east and west road I might just as well ask for permission at those houses too. I try to go on the first Saturday of Nov to ask. It is only common courtesy rather than wait till after dark when I may be setting down to my supper and some clown comes knocking on my door. And that is just the way it has happened more than once, till I told then NO MORE.

Day I found the TP covered woods the deer must have been flown over my place and allowed to drip blood every square inch. Sure didn't under stand why they needed so much and wonder they didn't get lost, OH that's right a couple of kids 12 and 10 came the next morning and asked if they could look some more.

So much TP the deer would have had to dig a hole and cover it's self up and spread leaves on it's own grave to be in my woods.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 11-25-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bacajnala, I will help a neighbor find a wounded deer. It is just being a decent neighbor and a shot deer will probably die and be wasted if not found. Sometime I may need that neighbor's help with something. I think TP is a good idea to mark a blood trail. After all, it is biodegradable.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Put the sheriff on speed dial and trespassing will not be a problem.
I was here first but those north of me from a city thought my woods belonged to everyone. told them once didn't get thru the thick head, told them a second time still didn't get thru., 3d time and a hefty fine by the court for trespassing and they finally got the message.

In Michigan you need the land owners permission to recover game on others property. I have one neighbor comes before every deer season and asks for permission before hand. The rest who come to the house the night they shot and animal came on my place to ask I tell them NO should have asked before the season. I have never found a dead critter on my place and if I did I would load in in the front loader and deliver to their door.

Who ever told city slickers to use toilet paper to mark the last blood should be hung from a big Oak branch.

Al
Id help my neighbor find the deer. Better than goin to waste. I use the TP on occasion and know hundreds of hunters that do too. Guess were all city slickers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.