Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

missing shots

Old 11-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Notice he has not been back since the question was asked.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably having a Deer come in close and shooting too high,plus if they are using a scope and have it on high power and should set it on the lowest setting/power....and as several mentioned,more practice!
Old 11-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Usually if ur case is a flinch and ur right handed, the bullet will hit low and left. If ur shootin high it cud be a variety of things. But like another hunter said on here, if u pull ur head up off the stock right as u fire so u can see where the deer runs it will affect ur shot. So u gotta practice following thru with the shot and not pullin ur head up
Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

I'd comment but it's all already been said ,there's no way someone could miss that many times and not get off their but and find out and then we wouldn't have been asked to tell someone to sight their rifle in . If I missed once would be enough to send me to the range , I'm sorry if your new and are learning but you should practice and after your zeroed in take care of it , bump it and your missing again cause your scopes off
Old 11-19-2016, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

if the gun is sighted in, and your missing or making BAD hits,
its 100% SHOOTER error
I suggest getting more seat time in at the range and BE shooting in the same way as you do from your tree stand
MEANING if your shooting free hand, or off a RAIL on a stand as a rest, try and shoot in the same manor

POINT of aim can happen on HOW you rest the gun, if your gripping the forearm down /pulling on barrel, RESTING on Barrel and so on
SO< its always best to SHOOT from a sight in , as much as the same way as you plan to be shooting in hunting situations

do you get overly excited when a deer walks in front of you, AKA< BUCK FEVER?
Old 11-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cooperd15
While hunting this week ive non fataly shot 1 deer and completely missed another, going back to last year on the the last day of the season I missed one. Every shot going high.I can't figure out why. I set in a 10ft tall stand and use a 30-06. Any suggestions on how to not shoot high?
Assuming you are legit and asking an honest question, the first thing I would do is check your scope mount for looseness (if your rifle has a scope.)
Another thing not mentioned is that if you are resting your barrel on a hard shooting rest, it will cause your shots to be high. You do not want your barrel to be touching anything when you shoot.

C. Davis
Old 11-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by C. Davis
Assuming you are legit and asking an honest question, the first thing I would do is check your scope mount for looseness (if your rifle has a scope.)
Another thing not mentioned is that if you are resting your barrel on a hard shooting rest, it will cause your shots to be high. You do not want your barrel to be touching anything when you shoot.

C. Davis
actually I said the same thing (just above you) about barrel resting on things can alter point of aim LOL
Old 11-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mrbb
actually I said the same thing (just above you) about barrel resting on things can alter point of aim LOL
Oops, sorry. I've seen people rest the barrel on the rest many times. It is guaranteed to make you shoot high, especially if you rest the barrel on a hard surface.

C. Davis
Old 11-19-2016, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Seriously if you missed and even if you didn't you should know your weapon better .zero it in ,try it hot and cold mornings and transport in a hard case and treat it right so it stays zeroed in . Aim take a deep breath and as you slowly start to exhale GENTLY sueeze off a round . Sorry but you must be new or you wouldn't ask what to do when my rifles off